• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcuterie Thread

I would love to find tiny digital hanging scales that were calibrated to the right range. Then you could just see how much loss without even removing the sausage from the fridge.

Nice! I've been meaning to do some bucatini all'amatriciana with mine that I did a couple months ago. What are your favorite use cases for guanciale?

Be careful with the amount you pile on, when it starts giving up the fat it can get a bit over whelming.

Did you see the peppers Joe wrapped with it? WOW

Mine goes in carbonara or Spinach mushroom risotto, or I just shave it thin and eat it with a very old cheddar or some manchego.

Guanciale

Nice! I've been meaning to do some bucatini all'amatriciana with mine that I did a couple months ago. What are your favorite use cases for guanciale?

fettucine carbonara of course. But that stuff is just good everywhere.

Had a chunk of butt left over from some sausage making and decided to throw a cure on it.......basically a large coppa. 4.2 lbs raw. Hit it with 2.5% sea salt, .25% cure #2 and left it alone for a couple of weeks. Rinsed and hit it with cayenne and black pepper. Pulled it last night. Other than some hardening, I was pretty happy with it.

Wow that looks amazing! Makes me sad I moved from Southaven MS years ago. I would have driven up with cash in hand for just a sample.
Memphis is a lucky city to have that beautiful cured meat...

FBJ what section of the butt are you using for Coppa?

Hanging around here, I will bet you know the term money muscle......basically that.

If that doesn't help, it is the end of the butt opposite the bone. There is kind of a natural seam behind the muscle....I generally cut just behind that.

The circled part is what is used for the coppa. The bone would be at the end of the package by the price tag.

Oh I'm familiar with the MM, though mine usually looks like these:

5dfdfa35c2971b8c2c6e9cee021b2585.jpg

34a0c27fc5f2af69c3535b68372e42cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all seriousness though, thank you, I couldn't tell if I was looking at the MM or the tubes in the end shot of the finished product.

Back