3 Post Thanksgiving MAK Meals

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, after cooking a lot of my Thanksgiving on the MAK, I just kept on keepin' on.

Turkey Day + 1 was Montery Chicken:
5qF8WcIl.jpg

Turkey Day + 2 was fillets (note the return of the fine Okie china):
an2Ximql.jpg

Turkey Day + 3 was ribs (Secret Weapon, Cookin Pellets Hickory, 250F, no wrap):
5iWFafTl.jpg

They had a little more of a grilled texture than I expected. Probably go back to wrapping in butcher paper... maybe spritzing more would have helped...

Thoughts? Recommendations?

PS - Sorry about shadows in the pic. I'm an idiot.

Lookin’ good my friend! As far as the ribs, not sure what ya mean by a grilled taste/texture. They don’t look grilled. That being said, I never wrap and I always spritz. Absolutely love the ribs that come off my MAK. End results being subjective, if wrapping is preferred, there ain’t nothing wrong with that either :)

Lookin’ good my friend! As far as the ribs, not sure what ya mean by a grilled taste/texture. They don’t look grilled. That being said, I never wrap and I always spritz. Absolutely love the ribs that come off my MAK. End results being subjective, if wrapping is preferred, there ain’t nothing wrong with that either :)

Thanks for the kind words. The "bark" looked good and was well set but it had a more solid, thicker texture and it kinda wanted to come off in a layer, almost like it was laminated on there, if that makes any sense. I only spritzed twice. That may have been the problem. For the record - 50% apple juice, 50% ACV. Actually, I'd like to develop a no-wrap process if possible so any tips are greatly appreciated.

If you are talking about the outside being a little tuff kinda like skin or something I found spritz/mop helps if you don't wrap. Either way all your cooks look good

Yep, no wrap with little to no spritzing does tend to develop a tougher bark from my experience.

As far as ribs, here is what I prefer:

-St. Louis ribs
-Remove membrane
-Apply rub and place back in fridge for about 1-2 hours before cooking
-Set controller to 240° and place ribs on upper grate (assuming you have one)
-I let ribs go for 2 hours before lifting the lid for the 1st time.
-Starting at around the 2 hour mark, I start spritzing with 50/50 apple juice-apple cider vinegar
-I spritz every 45 minutes or so until they are about an hour from being done
-I check for doneness w/ a toothpick. They’ll probe like butter when done.
-When they are about an hour from being done (almost probing like butter) I will sometimes glaze and sometimes leave dry... just depends on mood.
-For St. Louis spares it takes about 6.5-7.5 hours.

I used to wrap, but have never done so with the MAK as I absolutely love the results I get without that step.

If you are talking about the outside being a little tuff kinda like skin or something I found spritz/mop helps if you don't wrap. Either way all your cooks look good

Yep. That's what I was trying to say/explain. Definitely going to try again with more mopping discipline.

Yep, no wrap with little to no spritzing does tend to develop a tougher bark from my experience.

As far as ribs, here is what I prefer:

-St. Louis ribs
-Remove membrane
-Apply rub and place back in fridge for about 1-2 hours before cooking
-Set controller to 240° and place ribs on upper grate (assuming you have one)
-I let ribs go for 2 hours before lifting the lid for the 1st time.
-Starting at around the 2 hour mark, I start spritzing with 50/50 apple juice-apple cider vinegar
-I spritz every 45 minutes or so until they are about an hour from being done
-I check for doneness w/ a toothpick. They’ll probe like butter when done.
-When they are about an hour from being done (almost probing like butter) I will sometimes glaze and sometimes leave dry... just depends on mood.
-For St. Louis spares it takes about 6.5-7.5 hours.

I used to wrap, but have never done so with the MAK as I absolutely love the results I get without that step.

I'll definitely try this. I have extra grates so I should be able to follow your plan. Thanks for sharing.

Back