If you give a man a fish.....

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
He'll probably give it back to you and ask if you can smoke it for him...but if you teach a man to bbq...

After smoking him a couple of pastramis for thanksgiving a buddy showed interest in bbq. I've had an 18 inch weber smokey mountain sitting idle for going on three years, i think i used it once since i got the stick burner. I'm not sure what happened, the wsm was my first real smoker and i learned a ton while using it. I just got into the stick burner than i was all into the big easy....got the akorn.....blackstone griddle....bird barrel. The one time i needed her for a mobile cook i opened the lid to the horror of mold. Well i got the ole girl cleaned up and she then sat. We moved and the weber just sat parked in the backround at the new place for another year. I was beginning to get disgusted with it just sitting there.

Now i have been rather fortunate lately. I won a random drawing from iamadman for some great chicken products (buy sassy sauce now) then AussieMatt gifted me some of his flavors from home, the eta is low. The coup de gras was the sisters in smoke giveaway. I didn't win the grand prize (grats cheez) but phil through in a few side prizes, super fast thermapens to me and another subscriber. With the spirit of the brethren flowing so strong through me i was compelled to pay it back.

It was an easy decision. The wsm would go to my friend free of charge. I loaded up the smoker, a 2 pack of kingsford from my stash, and headed out. i stopped at Meijer on the way for a bag of pecan chunks and the mandatory inaugural fatty.

A light scrub and we're good to go. Im surpised how she looks after years of neglect

We went over fire management with an emphasis on what thin blue smoke is. I gave him my "we bbqin not smokin" speech. ran down the minion method, ways to add fuel, and other general tips. He seemed to take it allin well.

Being i don't use the maverick anymore i gave it to him as well. I explained the history of the fatty and told him how it was the way to christen a cooker. The short cook time also gave me am easy way to demo a whole cook processes and how to use the maverick properly.

We ran the water pan to start. Itold him how it makes the wsm fool proof but is a bit messy. Ran down using the mav and no water and how to use with no pan and how to use as a grill, without the middle. Anthony caught on really fast. I went over more than i planned as he picked up so fast.

I wish i got a pic of his kids faces when they tried it.

Before i knew it he was reloading the smoker for a double smoked ham as i was leaving.

Look like he'll do just fine.

Good on ya for helping a guy get started. Sounds like you sent him down the right path.

You did tell him to join here too, right?

What a guy! I've done that with a lot of things laying around I know I'm never really going to use again.

I could list it on craigslist for beer money and screw around with people coming to look at it, not show up, etc. or I know someone that could really use this right now.

I won't even notice it's gone and they will use it alot!

So where's the fish? I came here expecting fish! :p

Seriously though, very kind of you. I'm sure your friend is just over the moon excited. :-D

No fish. But he is using it. I think he got the bug. Cooks planned this week and weekend. He sent me a really nice thank you text the next day

What a guy! I've done that with a lot of things laying around I know I'm never really going to use again.

I could list it on craigslist for beer money and screw around with people coming to look at it, not show up, etc. or I know someone that could really use this right now.

I won't even notice it's gone and they will use it alot!

I decided against the Craigslist thing myself. I don't need the cash and im not into haggling. Selfishly it gives me someone else to talk Q with.

I will say i forgot how fool proof using the water pan makes this smoker. It basically can't go over 300 and seems to cruise around 275. If i had it again id use water and no therms.

Back