How to use your COS/ Cheap offset Smoker Properly

Just did my first smoke on my COS. went well but man it went through some splits. How far open do you leave the stack? i have an old country pecos and it has a huge stack. i had the stack wide open and the smoker box was 1/4 open. i was gong through a split every 30 minutes. Any suggestion to get a longer burn from the split.

I always leave my stack wide open. Every thirty minutes isn't bad for these small offsets. You can try using larger splits, increase the size in small amounts till find what works best for your offset.

Just did my first smoke on my COS. went well but man it went through some splits. How far open do you leave the stack? i have an old country pecos and it has a huge stack. i had the stack wide open and the smoker box was 1/4 open. i was gong through a split every 30 minutes. Any suggestion to get a longer burn from the split.

A split every 30-45 minutes is normal. What temp where you running and what size split? 1/8 or 1/4 Splits? Most smokers I've cooked on its a 1/4 split every 45 minutes including my Bandera and the borrowed Ok Joe (which is real close to the Pecos in size n build) in pic I posted mid thread.

great tutorial and awsome looking ribs. I have had one of those cheap smokers (charbroil I think) for adout 10 years now. Used it a couple times when I first got it, didn't know anything about smoking then so it sat for the next 10 years. Just did some ribs on it a couple weeks ago because they wouldn't all fit on my uds. although it was a bit finicky at first, it actualy did a nice job. Mine is bone stock but maybe if I made it a reverse smoker

They were the western logs from acadamey in apples pecan and hickory.

They were the western logs from acadamey in apples pecan and hickory.

Then that was about right then but that gets too expensive. Buy a 1/4-1/2 of split firewood. Look on Craigslist . They come as 1/4 splits. Some guys will then split them to 1/8 splits. I don't - so every 45 minutes I add one 1/4 split. High End offsets can go about 1hr - 1 hr 15 minutes between splits.

Thanks for all the help. i thought at that rate i was going to go broke quick.

Also don't try to maintain a exact steady temp - just try to maintain a steady temp range of target temp +\- 25*. So if you want a target temp of 250* when you add a split it will climb to 270-275* and slowly fall back. When temp hits 230* you chunk on another split and it climbs to 270*ish and slowly drop, chunk another split in at 230* and repeat till done. :mrgreen:

Back