Meatloaf, #1

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I would like to share with you my first attempt at meatloaf. I was really surprised how much tasty it is and for sure I will reply.
This is my cook.

I bought some ground beef with enough fat inside. Then I added 2 italian sausages because I forgot to buy some ground pork meat.

IMG_0801 di BBQness, su Flickr

then I pureed some veggies to mix with

IMG_0792 di BBQness, su Flickr

and added them to ground meat plus 1 egg, some breadcrumbs, some salt and pepper to taste.

IMG_0802 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0809 di BBQness, su Flickr

Last edited:
Looks good so far. Just don't work the meat too much when you mix it up. I have done two meatloaf's. The first was wonderful. The second I think I over worked and it was dry and dense.

You are wright. I worked twice the meat, the first with the sausages and the second with every thing else. Next time just once.

I fit all in a pan, added some dry rub and put in the 26 OTG for indirect cooking at very low and slow T round 200F. I added some mesquite and hickory chips for smoke, but ended oversmoked.

IMG_0830 di BBQness, su Flickr

5 hours later it was like this

IMG_0833 di BBQness, su Flickr

and sliced.....

IMG_0836 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0838 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0841 di BBQness, su Flickr

I really loved the taste and the moistness of this piece of meat. As I said before it was over smoked but still good.
Bark was good. tenderness ok. I stopped cooking at 161 F IT.

If you like this is the slideshow on youtube http://youtu.be/5b90iZFahLc?list=UU5...dcSBWPQKZhMVrg

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

It's easy to over smoke meat loaf. ground meat takes on a lot of smoke. I use 2 small chunks of hickory.

That meatloaf looks great. I never pureed my veggies but I think I'll try that. I see meatloaf sandwiches in your future.

I fit all in a pan, added some dry rub and put in the 26 OTG for indirect cooking at very low and slow T round 200F. I added some mesquite and hickory chips for smoke, but ended oversmoked.

Looks good Enrico. Chips burn faster so they are more smokey than chunks, and mesquite and hickory are strong woods. Next time try it with a little hickory. :thumb:

That Meatloaf looks fantastic..:clap2: I use just one Hickory chunk. Nice job.:thumb:

Yair . . . 'Scuse my ignorance but what's the essential difference between a "meatloaf" and a "fatty"?

Cheers.

Fatty is pork sausage that may or may not be stuffed and may or may not be wrapped.

A meatloaf is usually a mixture of beef / pork sausage / veal / whatever and usually will have some veggies, egg, filler / binder like bread crumbs, and may or may not be wrapped...

I think. Unless this was a trick question.

Actually, using the Italian sausage instead of ground pork was a good call, for me anyway. I always finely chop my veggies though. Nice loaf, Enrico! As you say, "Complimenti"!

Back