Back from 1st Comp

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well I made it through. Barely. Sorry I didn't post these Saturday evening or on Sunday but truth be told I just slept! I watched my 'Skins on Sunday and then went back to sleep. I was exhausted.

After arriving on Thursday afternoon the first thing I did was set up camp.
Here is my version of the Hillbilly Hilton.

DSCF1020.jpg

I spent an hour or so under the glow of an electric light and put together a quick banner. You all have my permission to laugh.

DSCF1019.jpg

My lil EBC's are fine for the backyard or for camping but I had trouble with these at the comp partly due I believe to the amount of meat in each one.

DSCF1018.jpg

Also Friday night was very cool and damp. I managed to keep the temperature in the 205-225 range through out the night but it seemed to be slow cooking even for low and slow. Here is what I am talking about.

DSCF1021.jpg

I was worried that practicing only one meat at a time would come back to haunt me, and it did. I was just not practiced enough in monitoring that much meat even with electronic probes. I also went without the Texas Crutch, something I will not do again. I did manage to turn in everything on time in all for categories. No small feat since the turn in had to be at least 1/4 mile away and I had no runner. I did manage to snag a golf cart lift for pork turn in and although it took just as long to get to the turn in area it save my legs for the brisket.

Chix: I was not happy with this. It is what I consider my strongest meat and things just did not come together for me. It was pretty tender and flavourful, but the skin was very rubbery. Place 11th in this category.

DSCF1025.jpg

Ribs: I did not foil them and it showed in the tenderness and the taste. Also had a little problem getting good enough good looking cuts to fill the box. I placed 13th in ribs.

DSCF1028.jpg

Pork: I couldn't slice the money muscle the bark was so hard. I mixed the pulled pork in a East Carolina sauce I make, that most everyone I know raves about but the judges only gave me 8's on. Guess my friends were only being polite. Came in 16th on this one.

DSCF1029.jpg

Brisket: You know that old saying ... Don't change what work, especially at comp time. Well I did. I trimmed all the fat away and did a bacon grease slather. Next time I slather the grease on top of some fat. The point was like butter about 5 hours before turn in. The flat never hit the 'budda' stage. I wrapped the point in craft paper instead of foil to keep the bark crisp. and left it on the smoker in a pan. Big mistake for me. Should have wrapped it in foil and put it into the warm cooler. By the time I pulled the flat the whole thing was a burnt end. It looked like a meteorite on the outside and the inside as well. I had to dress it with sauce in the box to try and gain a few more points with presentation, because I knew I was gonna get slammed in tenderness and taste. I was given a very generous 14th place on this one.

DSCF1034.jpg

As you can see by the scores I did not do as well as I had hoped. I placed 13th overall, out of 18. I did have a good time at the comp, and am looking into doing more. I had a chance to meet Rub from Swampboys, but did not get out much past the guys to my immediate left and right. I admit I was a pit hugger but without another team member and my true backyard equipment, I think you can understand why.

MoGreen stopped by with his wife and lovely kids just as I was slicing the brisket. Thanks for the visit.

To all of you that wished me well, I thank you very much. Next time we will get better scores and hopefully a walk or two. I have till the end of the week to sign up for Talledaga which I want to do but I gotta see if I can wrangle a better quality smoker or what further mods I can make on the EBC's to get a better result.

Sorry for the small scale pics. I will see waht I can do to resize for your viewing pleasure.

Hey, for a first competition, I think you did okay, working alone and with ECB's, you did great. I have never competed, but, I have worked in commercial kitchens and if you can turn out your product on time and it is decent, that is a good start. You did not finish dead last and you probably learned a bunch.

I think it's awesome that you competed, let alone....alone!!
Great job and even those tiny pics look tasty Red!

Did you have fun? then it was a success! :-D

Congrats on surviving and getting everything turned in on time. That by itself is a great accomplishment for the first time out.

Larger pics would be great, but from the chicken picture it looks like the skin was a bit dark. hw were the appearance scores?

Good effort on your first event. The next one will be much easier.

One person competing in all those categories with those smokers should win a medal of honor in my opinion. :-D
Very nice work!

Did you have fun? then it was a success! :-D

Congrats on surviving and getting everything turned in on time. That by itself is a great accomplishment for the first time out.

Larger pics would be great, but from the chicken picture it looks like the skin was a bit dark. hw were the appearance scores?

3 at 9.5; 2 at 9.0 and the low was 8.5

So not KCBS scoring, huh? :rolleyes: Was 10 the highest? That's not bad.

Not KCBS. It was a FLBA event. It was a good thing for my first event. Turn in times are an hour apart. I never would have made it had they been half hour apart.

I am not sure if going green is the way to go as in the turn in boxes of KCBS. I like the full meat look a lot. I will have to get some boxes and play around with presentation using lots'a meat and a little green. I think making a putting green out of parsley would send me through the roof.:icon_smil

One person competing in all those categories with those smokers should win a medal of honor in my opinion. :-D
Very nice work!

I have to second Saiko. Doing all four categories for the first time, by yourself, is quite an accomplishment. Job well done! :lol:

Nice work. Really really nice work. Doing it by yourself the first time, while managing everything going on, without rest, etc, and placing 13th? Awesome.

And I bet the bug has bit?

You did great!! Way to go. I can't imagine doing all that on your own. :cool:

And here's the second second to that. Hat's off!

I second as well and the motion passes. You did a great job. Now get to work on some drums. It's a lot easier to run three drums than those Brinkmans.

I second as well and the motion passes. You did a great job. Now get to work on some drums. It's a lot easier to run three drums than those Brinkmans.

I'd do the drum route if I had a place to keep them. Guess I could make them a permanent fixture in the back of the pickup.

red you did great for a solo cooker and heck we have been doing comps .. for 3 yrs now and last month I didnt even turn my chicken in witch i feel is my number one meat because i didnt like the look of it and we got a second in ribs witch have never done before as for my chicken I also tryed a new way to get the skin to work aka<bite through for the judges >and it works but that day didnt lol and we have placed 4th -2nd-10th-15th in a 4 meat comp and the next comp cooked same temp times and spices and sauces and got 15th 13th 10th11th in the next comp... its a hard deal to know what the judges will like on that day all in all keep your head up keep smoking and you will hit it and keep the fun into it

I'd do the drum route if I had a place to keep them. Guess I could make them a permanent fixture in the back of the pickup.

folding-cargo-carrier-7.jpg

I'm thinking of making something like this, and welding two drums to it. Have to have some pull down catches for the lids while traveling. Should be just the right height to work from the back of the truck. You'd be perched up there above the fray.

folding-cargo-carrier-7.jpg

I'm thinking of making something like this, and welding two drums to it. Have to have some pull down catches for the lids while traveling. Should be just the right height to work from the back of the truck. You'd be perched up there above the fray.

I am thinking of something like the TracRac system.
tracrac1b.jpg

Back