Chili on a stick (warning: 12 pictures)

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Blame BigaByte in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36915

I started with left over Bratwurst Chili
DCP_4196.jpg

Then I distributed into 3 oz dixie paper cups
DCP_4197.jpg

Into the freezer with the cups and when frozen, out they come and the paper cups are peeled off
DCP_4200.jpg

First, dust with flour
DCP_4201.jpg

Then a buttermilk and egg bath and back into the flour then into the oil.
DCP_4202.jpg

The first batch cooked for 5 minutes until the crust was golden brown
DCP_4203.jpg

Bitting into one was wonderful
DCP_4204.jpg

until I got down to the end of the stick and found some frozen bratwurst
DCP_4205.jpg

The same thing happened with the second COAS treat
DCP_4206.jpg

The next batch went for 7 minutes. Looks at this deliciousness
DCP_4208.jpg

All was perfectly cooked and wonderful tasting
DCP_4210.jpg

But the stick didn't stay in
DCP_4211.jpg

All in all, a great experiment. 7 minutes in 375 degree oil was perfect. You could make these without the sticks and have a wonderful appetiser. I think the next batch I make will use a smaller container. Maybe an icecube tray and no stick. The paper on the bottom of the cup, which is a seperate piece from the sides, stuck to the bottom of the chili and I had to use a knife to scrape if off. next time, I'll also spice up the flour since you can taste it more than I thought you would.

That is either the craziest or greatest thing I have ever seen. :eusa_clap

I will let you know when I try it. I think I have some leftover chili in the freezer that is about to be thawed out.....

That was great. I've been experimenting with deep frying anything I can find lately, except chili. Thanks.

That has got to be one of the wackiest, strangest most wonderful ideas I've seen in a long time.

Adding to the ever increasingly long list of things I need to try.

That looks awesome! I was wondering if you were really gonna do it. I think the ice cube trays sound good. Fried chili nuggets, mmmmmmmmmm....droool.........:razz:

this summer at the iowa state fair you could come up and vend these little babies. they've always got something new deep fat fried........twinkies, snickers, etc. always a big hit.

How about spearing a hunk of cheese before filling cups with chili?

Almost as good as Willkat's invention....Frito Pie:biggrin:

Doooood, that brings a tear to my eye. That is just beautiful:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

this summer at the iowa state fair you could come up and vend these little babies. they've always got something new deep fat fried........twinkies, snickers, etc. always a big hit.

Matt beat me to it! Great idea. Hmmmm, I do know someone at the fair!!??! :twisted:

I am amazed @ what some of you dream up. I think the ice cube tray would be the way to go.

Good lawd Brudder~man...!!! I'd say the recipe~of~the~year bar just got set...and pretty *darn* high.

(Can't be a mirage, can it? I haven't started drinking yet.)

Back