Copperhead frustrations...need help

jermoQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have had my Pitboss copperhead for two or three years. It is my favorite cooker but it is causing me frustrations. The temperature in the last 6 uses has fluctuated from trying to cook at 220, all the way up to 450 and shutting down. And down to 150 and under and going out. A few cooks ago it went out from high heat three times and on an overnight, I came out to a dead smoker after my thermometer app on my phone fell asleep. It will hold steady for a couple of hours,, then go wildI want to blame the controller. Anyone gotten a replacement controller for your Copperhead that was good?

Last edited:
Have you tried cleaning the temperature sensor probe? Seems to me this same issue came up in another thread a few weeks ago and that was the cause.

I clicked on this for the wrong reasons. I was going to tell you how I got rid of copperheads when I lived in Georgia. Their presence on our property was very frustrating to my wife when she was pruning bushes and planting flowers, so I put in considerable effort eradicating them.

It sure does sound like the controller. Definitely contact PitBoss and see if they will take care of you.

I replaced my copperhead 5 controler with a re-tec controler and it is so much better. It keeps the temp. within 5%.

How does one do this? I have the same problem as this guy and I’ve been using the Pooperhead as a warmer. Never can get above 200 without flaming out.

Rectec used to sell just the controller. Now they do not. Have you contacted pitboss? The copperhead has a 5 year warranty on it.

How does one do this? I have the same problem as this guy and I’ve been using the Pooperhead as a warmer. Never can get above 200 without flaming out.

Here is video on how to replace the controler.

Back