Question about offset smoker modification

Hinds15

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a used lyfe time smoker (anyone who owns please chim in on how they cook) and doing some modification to the stack. I want to move the stack lower but am wonder if that will negatively affect it? Also If I'm not mistaken I don't think it has a baffle where the firebox and chamber meets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-102131_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-102131_Facebook.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20210121-102136_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-102136_Facebook.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 146
Why do you want to lower it? Are you having problems with the smoker, or do you perceive the lowered stack to be better? The latter is not an automatic.

I haven't picked up the smoker yet. Just something I was tossing around. I've seen it mentioned that the smoke stack being at grate level is the best.

I haven't picked up the smoker yet. Just something I was tossing around. I've seen it mentioned that the smoke stack being at grate level is the best.

Take this with a grain of salt. It might be for specific cookers, but not a golden rule. I have one that is the same design (from Horizon). It cooks great, drafts great, has great smoke flavour. There is no point that I have ever found fault in the high smokestack on that cooker.

The smoke stack does not have to be at grate level. That smoker will draft just fine where it is and heat and smoke will not be sucked up and over the meat. There will be plenty of heat and smoke filling the cooking chamber before exiting out the stack.

Pick it up, clean up real good, maybe repaint it. Then fire it up and see how it runs, what the temps are in different parts of the cc, then start to make your mods or adjustments. Just my .02!!

I don't own one, but I have built a few pits. The stack position will work as is. You can add a baffle plate pretty easy which will help on most pits.

Baffle plate

If you run a full length baffle plate, you may want to move the stack to the opposite end and go to a reverse flow design...otherwise you will probably have a cold area on the end nearest the FB.......just my two cents worth..

A baffle and some tuning plates might be all you need.

On my Longhorn I used some stove pipe to lower the exhaust some but not to the grate. Too low will affect the draw on a smoker not designed for that.

Back