Settled on 3 New Things this Weekend

angryelfFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I did 2 cooks this weekend on my WSM. Just 2 racks of baby backs each time. The plan for Saturday was to see the difference between wrapping and not wrapping my ribs. Sunday was to tryout the WSM without water. Also, I got to break in my brand new BBQ Guru Party Q.

The first thing is the BBQ Guru. Some may call it cheating, but man is that thing solid on temperature. I used to check the pit every 1/2. No need to do that anymore and I can't wait to put a butt on around midnight and just go to bed.

As far at wrapping my ribs goes, I will stick without doing it. Unless they are getting too dark, it just doesn't work for me. I just lose the bark when I try.

I was pretty skeptical about this whole smoking in a WSM without water thing. I just tasted the 2 baby backs and I have to admit that not using water nailed the texture and moisture. I am really shocked. As far as ribs go, I am converted to no water. Plus, who doesn't love the easy clean up?

Some pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_7635.jpg
    IMG_7635.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_7637.jpg
    IMG_7637.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_7639.jpg
    IMG_7639.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 280
Beautiful ribs. I'm with you on the no water in the WSM. I like it with double smoked ham but that's it.

Purty ribs!

I agree about water. I did one cook with water, swore while trying to figure out where to dispose of hot, greasy water, and never looked back.

Beautiful ribs and I love the smoke ring and the overall color as well. Great job.

I love using my guru, it's great to sleep soundly on overnight cooks.

Ribs look great, I'm a no wrap no water convert.

Great looking ribs. Did you just foil the pan or did you put sand in the pan before foiling ?

Those are some great looking bones!
Now, may I suggest tou to remove water pan and put in a pizza stone (foiled). Termal mass will steady T much better.

Now, may I suggest tou to remove water pan and put in a pizza stone (foiled). Termal mass will steady T much better.
I use a clay plant saucer, another plus is you can really load up the charcoal ring on longer cooks without clearance issues from the water pan.

As far at wrapping my ribs goes, I will stick without doing it. Unless they are getting too dark, it just doesn't work for me. I just lose the bark when I try.

What temp were you cooking, and how long in and out of the foil? I smoke SLC Spares at 275*, two hours in the foil, the third hour I grab the ribs, take them inside, wrap them up, and put them back on, and then the fourth hour I go grab them, take them inside, unwrap, and then put them back on to finish and firm up the bark.

If I am doing a couple racks, I'll foil. More than that, and I don't bother. I did one of each one time, and while we liked the wrapped ribs a little better, those that ran nekkid the whole time were pretty good too.

I was pretty skeptical about this whole smoking in a WSM without water thing. I just tasted the 2 baby backs and I have to admit that not using water nailed the texture and moisture. I am really shocked. As far as ribs go, I am converted to no water. Plus, who doesn't love the easy clean up?
I agree with Ron. I used water the first and only time. Got a Terra Cotta planter base in there for the next cook and never looked back.

Check out the link in my signature for mods and tips on my WSM...

Back