Big Green Egg MiniMax

babrisket

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got a coupon for 10% off to Ace Hardware the other day that didn't exclude Big Green Eggs, so I moseyed on down and picked up a MiniMax. Its just 3 of us right now and I wanted something small, efficient and mobile. When I did a burn in I loaded it up with a little over 2 pounds of Ozark Oak and let it cruse at 275 for 7 hours before shutting it down. Still had almost a pound of charcoal left. Did baby backs this past weekend, and had to cut in half to fit. Had it cruising around 275 for 3.5 hours. I normally do the bend test to determine doneness, but since they were so short, I had to tooth pick it. They turned out good, except the ends that extended beyond the plate setter got a little crispy. I might do a tee-pee style next time with a skewer to hold it together. Still had plenty of charcoal left over.

I also did my first tri-tip the other night. It was very good and will be on the menu again.

Then a couple of burgers for a quick meal.

I had a 20 pound turkey to cook, but had to use my backwoods due to size issues...

This is a fun little cooker, and crazy efficient on charcoal. Its been the easiest cooker I've had to dial in and keep consistant temps without the use of a electronic blower. Its also nice that I can carry it back and forth from the garage to the back porch since the boss told me I'm "over capacity" on the back porch with my other cookers. I've got my eye on a woo and kick ash basket accessory as well, it seems like you can spend endless money on cool egg accessories.

Very nice Try putting some foil on the grate where the meat extends pasr =t the plate setter

BGE-Minis are fun- bet yours is "funner "

Congradulations on the new egg brother. Mighty fine looking grub :thumb:

Congrats on your MiniMax - I'm glad you're enjoying it. The food looks great!

A word of caution, though. I would be careful how often you move the cooker around. We had a floor model where I worked this summer and the handles failed. The welds where the machine screws thread into the handle brackets didn't seem that robust, but it might have been an unfortunate fluke. To their credit, BGE replaced the faulty handles.

Congrats on your MiniMax - I'm glad you're enjoying it. The food looks great!

A word of caution, though. I would be careful how often you move the cooker around. We had a floor model where I worked this summer and the handles failed. The welds where the machine screws thread into the handle brackets didn't seem that robust, but it might have been an unfortunate fluke. To their credit, BGE replaced the faulty handles.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on the welds.

I'll also try the foil trick to prevent burning. Thanks for the tips!

Back