YABT (Yet Another Bacon Thread) - Newbie Questions

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
YABT, with a tip of the hat to YACC.

Newbie here; Among other things I have been making bacon. Four very tasty batches so far.

First & second batches, used sauseagemaker. com maple cure and cold smoked. Good bacon, no maple flavor discernible in the result though.

Third batch, same cure, I picked up a 1 oz. bottle of imitation maple flavor at the grocery store. It looked so small, I just dumped it in. Ack! It turned the cure brown, filled the kitchen with maple smell, and was very difficult to wash off my hands. I really thought I had ruined the bacon. Cold smoked again, same result, little or no discernible flavor.

Fourth batch, use maple cure from lemproducts.com. This stuff smelled powerful! It was very hard to wash off my hands. I thought I had hit the maple jackpot. Cold smoked again, same result again. Maybe a slight sweet flavor but that's about it. I also cured some bacon with their pepper cure and the two slabs taste about the same. We gave some of each to a restaurant chef friend and she can't taste any difference either.

I am comparing these batches to commercial maple bacon, where the flavor is mild but is unquestionably there.

BTW I am cold smoking with the A-Maze-N (cant remember the acronym!) pellet maze for 10-12 hours and really like the smokiness. I know that's longer than most people here smoke. Maybe I'll try something shorter next batch. Could the long smoke be killing the added flavors?

Request #1: Comments, suggestions, please.

Request #2: Tell me please, why some, maybe most, of you are fooling around heating the bacon t 150deg rather than just cold smoking? I have read that this is not enough heat to eliminate the need to cook the bacon, so what is the advantage?

TIA

Personally I use fenugreek in the curing phase. Gives a good maple smell and a noticeable maple like flavor without being to strong.

After it sits overnight to form the pellicle I "paint" the bacon with few layers of real maple syrup. When it is half dry I do the smoking. Final taste is very good. My kids love it. I personally believe that maple doesn't penetrate the meat enough to give me enough flavor on its own.

I use hot smoking for safety reasons. 150 is needed to guarantee the nastiest are dead.

Doesn't mean cold smoking is bad... It's what they did in the old days. Just that I'd prefer to follow modern standards.

YABT, with a tip of the hat to YACC.

Newbie here; Among other things I have been making bacon. Four very tasty batches so far.

First & second batches, used sauseagemaker. com maple cure and cold smoked. Good bacon, no maple flavor discernible in the result though.

Third batch, same cure, I picked up a 1 oz. bottle of imitation maple flavor at the grocery store. It looked so small, I just dumped it in. Ack! It turned the cure brown, filled the kitchen with maple smell, and was very difficult to wash off my hands. I really thought I had ruined the bacon. Cold smoked again, same result, little or no discernible flavor.

Fourth batch, use maple cure from lemproducts.com. This stuff smelled powerful! It was very hard to wash off my hands. I thought I had hit the maple jackpot. Cold smoked again, same result again. Maybe a slight sweet flavor but that's about it. I also cured some bacon with their pepper cure and the two slabs taste about the same. We gave some of each to a restaurant chef friend and she can't taste any difference either.

I am comparing these batches to commercial maple bacon, where the flavor is mild but is unquestionably there.

BTW I am cold smoking with the A-Maze-N (cant remember the acronym!) pellet maze for 10-12 hours and really like the smokiness. I know that's longer than most people here smoke. Maybe I'll try something shorter next batch. Could the long smoke be killing the added flavors?

Request #2: Tell me please, why some, maybe most, of you are fooling around heating the bacon t 150deg rather than just cold smoking? I have read that this is not enough heat to eliminate the need to cook the bacon, so what is the advantage?

TIA

I agree, fenugreek has a taste which is like a cross between celery and maple. Very good flavor imparted in the curing process.

Have you tried using REAL MAPLE SYRUP? Seems as if all the stuff in the stores today is all imitation. Send out to a real maple syrup producer, the light amber (usually the second run) has the best flavor, but anything real would far exceed anything at a grocery store.

Many of us cold smoke before we apply heat, although you mention 150 degrees I only go to 130 - 135 degrees. This in no way eliminates the need to cook the bacon nor does anyone wish this to be the case (that's the first time I have heard that theory). By slowly raising the smoker temperature over time until the internal temperature reaches 130, this slowly renders out a very small portion of the fat to firm the bacon. Thus making it easier to handle and slice, but it also helps to slowly evaporate some of the water content to help concentrate the flavors in the bacon. This process is much like dry aging a steak. Dry aged steak has a great pronounced beefy flavor because the water content has evaporated over time leaving a more concentrated flavor.

Last edited:
I do pretty much everything on my Weber kettle, so about an hour and a half at 200°, indirect gets to about 155° int., and with all the smoke flavor I want. ( I use apple wood chunks.)

When I take it off the kettle, I let it cool enough to handle, then remove the skin. It's really easy, at this point.

Perhaps someone who has done both, can speak to the difference in skin removal ease.

thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming.

Re 150deg for safety: I dunno. I am curing to equilibrium/a week with sodium nitrite and the bacon is either refrigerated or (most of it) is frozen after smoking. We're not dead yet, anyway.

Re real maple syrup: No I have not tried it. I assumed that the commercially blended cures would provide the maple flavor they promised. Maybe next time I will try mixing maple syrup into the pepper cure (which I still have plenty of) or try Chronos' painting idea. We have some syrup in the kitchen cabinet, so no big deal to get.

Re skin: I have been buying my bellies at a butcher shop that brings them in without skin, so needing 150deg for skin removal is not an issue for me.

About Maple flavor:

The wet cure commercial processors are injecting the flavor. I don't think that the sugar molecule is small enough to penetrate the belly through the surface, so the flavor you taste is on the surface. After you cook your bacon, cut a piece from the center of the slice and taste it. If someone has tried this test and tastes Maple flavor from the center, let us know.

smoking to 150°F may kill any normal pathogen but not Botulinum germs or Botulinum Toxins. It's the Nitrites protecting us.

Re 150deg for safety: I dunno. I am curing to equilibrium/a week with sodium nitrite and the bacon is either refrigerated or (most of it) is frozen after smoking. We're not dead yet, anyway.

The nitrites in your cure will prevent the bacteria from forming in the smoker. The smoker which has a low temperature, moisture, and is void of oxygen is a perfect environment for the food poisoning bacteria to grow, however the meat has been cured which impedes the colonization in the perfect environment during prolonged cold smoking.

No need to go above 140 just for food safety during smoking if the meat has been cured.

Re: real maple syrup: No I have not tried it. I assumed that the commercially blended cures would provide the maple flavor they promised. Maybe next time I will try mixing maple syrup into the pepper cure (which I still have plenty of) or try Chronos' painting idea. We have some syrup in the kitchen cabinet, so no big deal to get.

You could also replace the regular sugar in the curing mix with a real maple sugar.

I just posted but saw that Porcine Aviator hit reply before I did, he is absolutely correct.

Ok. Then why are we doing to 150? I follow instructions and assumed it was a surface safety thing.

I am assuming that the temperature recommendation was printed on your curing kit.

This was probably done more to minimize any possibility of liability to the corporation in case someone would claim they got ill from the process. Not only would the cure prevent illness but so would that high temperature. So if one followed the recipe exactly to the letter all the bases are covered for them. I am sure the legal staff is making sure any possible liabilities are covered before they release their products.

Recipes by well known masters of the craft like Len Poli http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bacon-HoneyCured.pdf
and the recipes by Stanley Marianski all call for a lower temperature.

By slowly raising the smoker temperature over time until the internal temperature reaches 130, this slowly renders out a very small portion of the fat to firm the bacon. Thus making it easier to handle and slice, but it also helps to slowly evaporate some of the water content to help concentrate the flavors in the bacon.

Thank you for that. Learn something new everyday.

I am assuming that the temperature recommendation was printed on your curing kit.

This was probably done more to minimize any possibility of liability to the corporation in case someone would claim they got ill from the process. Not only would the cure prevent illness but so would that high temperature. So if one followed the recipe exactly to the letter all the bases are covered for them. I am sure the legal staff is making sure any possible liabilities are covered before they release their products.

Recipes by well known masters of the craft like Len Poli http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bacon-HoneyCured.pdf
and the recipes by Stanley Marianski all call for a lower temperature.

By slowly raising the smoker temperature over time until the internal temperature reaches 130, this slowly renders out a very small portion of the fat to firm the bacon. Thus making it easier to handle and slice, but it also helps to slowly evaporate some of the water content to help concentrate the flavors in the bacon.

Sadly we live in a litigious society where many look to blame others for their shortcomings and failures just to capitalize from the person/corporation they blame.

This is not only true in the food industry, but in all aspects of our society. We often find the criminals are afforded and have more guaranteed rights than their victims.

Back