• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Cook On The Beast

speers90

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Time for the initial cook on my recently finished build, aka The Beast! On the menu today is a 14lb brisket, two 8-10lb butts, 5 racks of baby backs, some cowboys beans, smoked mac & cheese, and a potato casserole type of concoction.

The Beast
picture.php

If your interested in seeing more about this cooker, here is the link to the build thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401

The Beast Eats Only Wood, took about 75 minutes to get to temp this morning and that was with my flame thrower deciding it wasn't going to work so I had to do it the old fashion way by getting some lump going and then adding small splits.
picture.php

Two Butts & A Brisket, don't take up very much space on this thing. Probably hard to tell but there is still room for another brisket and two more butts, in the area that these are sitting.
picture.php

picture.php

Temp Gauges, seems to be pretty consistent, showing an 8-10 degree difference between back (warmer) and front (cooler), I can live with that.
picture.php

picture.php

Ribs go on at about 1, all the sides will go on about 230.

Looks like it is going to take a lot more meat to satisfy the beast. That is one fine lookin cooker.

Getting the baby backs ready to hit the pit.
picture.php

Hit them with my own version of Pitmaster T's Tri-Level Rub
picture.php

And on the pit we go, naked fatties are ready to come off and will be going in the beans, looks like butts and brisket will be ready for butcher paper at 1.
picture.php

Everything going according to plan so far. Cooker performing just as I thought it would, I am running it between 260 - 300 today, when it hits 260 I throw a couple splits in.

i hear al ot of people talking about wrapping in butchers paper. Not to start an argument but what is the advantage between that and aluminum foil?

For me it's a texture thing. Any time I have ever used foil I end up with meat that tastes like it has been steamed, hard to explain. Almost like a roast cooked in a crock pot and that isn't what I want. Butcher paper gives me the tenderness I want and doesn't create a steam environment because the paper can breathe.

Just want to confirm this last picture with the brisket, butts, ribs & fatty's are using less than 1/2 your capacity (there is a whole other door outof the picture to the right?

What was the final dimension of you lower cooking grate?

Just want to confirm this last picture with the brisket, butts, ribs & fatty's are using less than 1/2 your capacity (there is a whole other door outof the picture to the right?

What was the final dimension of you lower cooking grate?

You are correct. I didn't even open the front door all day. 75x36 for bottom, 75x29 for top and the middle will be 75x33. I have a 12 butt cook next Sunday, I will see if anyone else needs any and maybe I can see how many butts this thing will hold. Guessing 40-50?

Rave reviews from all the guests at the party, which you typically expect, but kids are honest and they were loving it. I must admit that I did pretty good, Mac & Cheese was killer, my potato recipe experiment was edible but not great so it comes off the menu until I can figure out how to make it great.

Congrats on a successful first cook. Saw your Mac and cheese recipe on another thread and am gonna try it. Well played all around

Back