Cook 4 Wounded Veterans

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I didn't want to post this earlier and take away any attention from the Wounded Warrior event last weekend.

There is an annual weekend long event in the town of Cow Harbor, Long Island, NY (adjacent to Northport) where wounded veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are honored and treated to a number of activities. The weekend kicks off with a parade for the veterans.

Immediately following the parade (roughly 6:30pm) we will be serving BBQ for about 125 veterans, their families and some parade volunteers. Actually, that's not quite accurate as we won't be doing the literal serving.

I need some help to pull this off. By our usual standards, this is a pretty small event. We will do some BBQ standbyes and then some burgers/dogs for the kids.

We need a couple of rigs to do some ribs and hot and fast pork, some meat donated (I'll cover the costs on whatever we can't get donated), people to lend a hand, a couple of tents and some other basic stuff that most competitors have.

I can bring down a couple of WSM's and a PBC, but I don't think that will cut it.

If there's anyone out there that deserves a great meal and a little recognition, it's these men and women.

A Facebook event page is here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1515364185346086/

Please let me know if you can help out.

Eric

I'm sure you'll get lots of help....boy i'd love to help you out if i was closer. Do you all need help with donations?

I'm sure you'll get lots of help....boy i'd love to help you out if i was closer. Do you all need help with donations?

Thank you for asking, but I'm not sure about that right now. I need to check w/ Phil about getting permission to have that done here and this isn't the best time for that. He has a lot of other things on his mind right now.

What I might do is contact one of the local meat purveyors we work with and set up special account for the event, so someone from a remote location can buy a pork butt or some sausage or something for the event.

I'll put some thought into it and get back to you.

Eric

Thank you for getting this going, I'd be willing to donate if you are able to accept. I know how Dave does it. He will probably chime in. Let us know!

Awesome of you to do this Eric!!!!

If I were closer than a few states away I'd be there to help out.

And please if you need any help with funds let us know!

Man, I'd love to help out if you were closer to MN. Thanks for doing the event! Always awesome to hear of folks doing these sort of things for vets!

It seems like North Shore Farms will be donating at least some of the food below and hopefully all of it.

Ribs: 15 racks

Pork Shoulder: 50 lbs.

Chicken: 140 chicken thighs or legs.

Now we need to get burgers and dogs for the kids.

Kelvin is coming down and bringing his rig. We should also have a Big John grill. I'm hoping to have one more smoker of reasonable size there.

We should have the meat onsite by 8:00 at the latest and if we get it on the smoker by 9, that will give us 8 hours to smoke the pork shoulder. We're gonna have to go hot and fast.

Should be a fun day!

Eric

This is wrong on so many levels! What is wrong with you people? Pork, beef, and chicken aren't good enough for you animals!? There is no way in hell I would support someone cooking four wounded veterans! They are people for Gods sake!

How steep is the learning curve on doing a whole hog for the first time? Not for competition, just for eating.

There's an abattoir on Long Island that might donate a pig.

If we can get a large enough rig, an old fashioned pig picking might be a cool experience for the guests.

Eric

Mike Diaz said that he can do a 90lb pig in his La Caja China.

I was thinking of seeing if Wells Farms would donate the pig.

Eric

I didn't think you could fit a pig that big in La Caja China. Is Mike Diaz talking about live weight or dressed? (it makes a big difference) I can get a 75 pound dressed pig in my smoker and a little bigger in the racing position. (The one in the pic is 60 lbs) You should find out if the pig you are getting is live weight or dressed.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 57
I'd like to thank North Shore Farms for donating the ribs and Crescent Packing Company for donating the pork shoulder for this event.

It is very much appreciated!

Eric

I just got word LITERALLY minutes ago that someone is donating the chicken as well.

So, we have the chicken, ribs and pork shoulder covered.

We still need to get burgers and dogs.

I haven't heard back from the people with the abattoir, so I guess the pig isn't happening.

Eric

Wounded Veterans Cook – Timeline

8:00 am Pig arrival on site, Eric, Jeremy, Steve
1:00 pm Ribs prep, Kelvin, Eric, ?
2:00 pm Ribs on smoker, Kelvin
3:00 pm Chicken on smoker, Jeremy, Eric, Kelvin, etc?
4:00 pm Marinate satay chicken, Greg
6:00 pm Grills started
6:15 pm Satay chicken, sausage on grills, pulling pork
6:30 pm Chicken, burgers, dogs on grills
7:00 pm Apps on tables
7:15 pm Kelvin thanks vets on behalf of the Brethren
7:30 pm Start serving all proteins

This is what we are looking at for now.

Back