What to do after a major grease fire...

vchris314

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hello Brethren!

This afternoon my smoker suffered what may be a killing blow - a major grease fire as I was cooking ABTs for a party. (Interestingly enough, it was the wife that mentioned that the fire may have "cooked" the smoker).

The cause was that I had too many ABTs on at once (90+) and too little grease drainage. All that I can imagine is that some grease dripped down into the firebox and started all the other grease on fire.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't overcrowd or overload
2. Keep grease away from firebox.
3. Make sure that there is plenty of grease drain holes. Put one or two close to the firebox.

So the quandry that I am looking for wisdom from all here (newbie or salty) is:
Being a Chargriller Super Pro with side firebox, is it worth it to try and clean it up and recondition it? Should I look into something like a Yoder (the Cheyanne or Witchita is calling me from the catalog)? I'm not sure if I would find the time to do something as ambitious as building a UDS.

Several things that I have noticed: The inside of the firebox is flaking metal; airflow issues that result in a white, smouldering fire unless I pull the ash drawer out three inches. The airflow issues also means that the fire rarely burns completely clean so I have to scrape creosote out.

If I decide to scrap the Chargriller, I do plan on saving the grates and the firebox mods that I have made (expanded steel basket, etc).

Ugh. Now that I have typed this up I am strongly thinking that scrapping and going for something else is the way to go.

Thanks for your opinions.

Well, if the fire didn't warp or actually destroy anything, I'd just scrape and clean it up. The flaking metal .in the firebox is a normal condition, but in reality your losing almost an immeasurable amount of metal. It also sounds like you just need to working your draft. That shouldn't be too hard.

The big question is did you lose your ABT's? :biggrin1:

Yes, the ABTs are 80% lost. I am trying to not think about the $30 in bacon.

I feel like I have been fighting the draft on this thing for quite a while.

Anyone know a good smoker builder in KS or MO? I like the idea of a Yoder but the price is putting me off a bit. Of course, one gets what one pays for.

Your mods may potentially be the problem. All that stuff can hinder draft. Have you ever tried using as built.

Your mods may potentially be the problem. All that stuff can hinder draft. Have you ever tried using as built.

The firegrate that came with the firebox warped into uselessness from the heat. So I put two .25"x1"x13" steel supports in the firebox and put a 6"x12"x13" expanded steel basket on top of those (the other feature of this mod was to allow the removal of the ash tray while a live fire was burining). Really, that should have *increased* air flow...the bottom of the basket sits just above the top of the intake. I think BlueDawg (forgive me if I got this wrong, Blue) has this same mod on his.

I'll take pictures in the morning.

If you have an excuse to buy a new smoker........ I mean don't be to devious about it or anything. But it sounds like you have permission, just saying.

?..the bottom of the basket sits just above the top of the intake.

That might be your flow problem. On a small pit I believe the best place is about half way down the intake. In its current position all or most of the air has to go through your coals and wood and that can actually be a choke. In the middle it gets enough draft to pull air through the coals and enough air over it for a good draft through the pit. Think of the air flow over the top as a vortex and the air below to fuel the fire.

On my big stick burner the grate is just at the top of the vents, but the firebox is do big there is no way to choke the air with the coals, wood and ash. There's plenty of open grate on the sides and back side so there's no issue with that. On my small stick burner the intake vent is designed to let air flow from beneath the grate and also above the grate.

Once you get things cleaned up, maybe you can figure out a way to experiment with that theory.

Just my two cents..:wink:

Hello Brethren!

This afternoon my smoker suffered what may be a killing blow - a major grease fire as I was cooking ABTs for a party. (Interestingly enough, it was the wife that mentioned that the fire may have "cooked" the smoker).

The cause was that I had too many ABTs on at once (90+) and too little grease drainage. All that I can imagine is that some grease dripped down into the firebox and started all the other grease on fire.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't overcrowd or overload
2. Keep grease away from firebox.
3. Make sure that there is plenty of grease drain holes. Put one or two close to the firebox.

So the quandry that I am looking for wisdom from all here (newbie or salty) is:
Being a Chargriller Super Pro with side firebox, is it worth it to try and clean it up and recondition it? Should I look into something like a Yoder (the Cheyanne or Witchita is calling me from the catalog)? I'm not sure if I would find the time to do something as ambitious as building a UDS.

Several things that I have noticed: The inside of the firebox is flaking metal; airflow issues that result in a white, smouldering fire unless I pull the ash drawer out three inches. The airflow issues also means that the fire rarely burns completely clean so I have to scrape creosote out.

If I decide to scrap the Chargriller, I do plan on saving the grates and the firebox mods that I have made (expanded steel basket, etc).

Ugh. Now that I have typed this up I am strongly thinking that scrapping and going for something else is the way to go.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ambitious as building a UDS... Really... Can be done in an hour if you have the parts. Cop out mod for a new smoker that you want. I won't tell the better half 😜

Clean it up.Make adjustments.Smoke on. A dollar saved is better than making a new dollar.You have to give a third of that new dollar away.But if you are just jonesing for a new pit,that is your call.Best of luck,whatever you decide.

Buy used!!! Go talk to Jay at spicewine see what he has used. I always buy used and buy higher than I can afford new but good quality used.

Back