• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whats your best piece of advice for cooking ribs?

Redleg71

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brisket threads and advice are ubiquitous on the brethren forums. Yet it seems that Ribs have not gotten the attention the deserve. The last few of my rib cooks have been dry and disappointment for those I love; whereas, with the help of the brethren, my briskets are almost always perfect.

Therefore; I ask you all....please share your best piece of advice when it comes to cooking the perfect rack of ribs!!!

Don't over complicate them. Just trim (if you want), rub, and cook them about 275-300. When they start to look good do the bend test. When they pass that they are done.

Low and slow...about 250º...modified 3-2-1...3 hours bare...1.5 hours wrapped...45 mins to 1 hour bare.

Ribs always come out good for me. I cook around 250-275. 3 hours of apple smoke, one hour wrapped, and one final hour being mopped with juices left over from the wrap. The last hour they get a bone twist test. Usually isn't a full hour when they get pulled.

Don't over complicate them. Just trim (if you want), rub, and cook them about 275-300. When they start to look good do the bend test. When they pass that they are done.

I would modify the above advice by saying cook at whatever temperature your cooker settles in at. Don't fight the cooker just to get to a specific temp.

Bend Test? What That be?

When they look good, put your tongs (open so one tong is under and one is over the rack) on one end of the rack and slide them under to about the middle of the ribs. Then, CAREFULLY start to pick them up so the opposite end starts to bend. If you see the meat starting to tear....break...whatever you want to call it...your ribs are done.

Are you guys mopping with the juices that come off the ribs into the foil wrap?
I use honey, brown sugar and squeeze butter on the meat side only. I tried both sides but they were too sweet. I only wrap meat side down for 10-15 minutes or they steam at the higher temps.

Maybe a visual tutorial will help you:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5A2JcUB3jM"]Spare Ribs Recipe - How To Smoke Spare Ribs - YouTube[/ame]

I would modify the above advice by saying cook at whatever temperature your cooker settles in at. Don't fight the cooker just to get to a specific temp.

Agree 100%....learn to cook with where your smoker likes to be...

Brisket threads and advice are ubiquitous on the brethren forums. Yet it seems that Ribs have not gotten the attention the deserve. The last few of my rib cooks have been dry and disappointment for those I love; whereas, with the help of the brethren, my briskets are almost always perfect.

Therefore; I ask you all....please share your best piece of advice when it comes to cooking the perfect rack of ribs!!!
A lot of guys use what's known as the 3-2-1 method which is cooking at 225 with three hours of smoke, two hours in foil and then an hour of cooking the sauce on.
I prefer to just season them and cook them at about 275 until they pass the bend test (you can bend them to expose a bone but at the same time the bone isn't falling out) which is usually about a four hour cook possibly longer but doneness is determined by look and feel, not time or temp.
I cook whole spares with good fat content but I do peel the membrane to allow better rub and smoke penetration. I rub the ribs with peanut oil, (learned by studying Johnny Trigg's method). My rub is a simple kosher salt, coarse pepper and garlic seasoning with no sugar or fancy stuff added.
I don't sauce my ribs until they are on my plate, in central Texas sauce is not a main component of the ribs flavor profile and is usually a thinner less sweet and overpowering sauce meant to compliment rather than overwhelm.:-D

Bend Test? What That be?

ribs-flex.jpg

You can also test for done with a toothpick. Insert it into the meat between the bones. When it goes in with little resistance they are done.

Wow. Great Advice so far. I have had to roll mine up when cooking because my big green egg can only hold a few. Any tips from Egg owners?

Back