Moozilla pron

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK he's a couple of pics of Moozilla (18lb prime brisket). Taste of new rub I was trying turned out good but still not that wow factor & never really relaxed to hot knife thru butter phase. I got it on Sat morn just after 10am on the BDS at 300 & took it off just after 4pm when it was in the mid/upper 190's to separate then made some sauced burnt ends from the point to put back on the BDS. As far as contest brisket my attempt would be middle pack but I still just don't have brisket down yet but I'm getting better/more consistant at it.

Trimmed & going to bed for the night

Seasoned in the morning before cranking up the BDS

flip times

Sliced (sorry my camera doesn't do closeups very well & they end up to fuzzy)

Looks good to me brotha! I've never considered flipping briskets on my UDS it's always been fat side down as a heat shield. Do you get more smoke doing this? How does it benefit you? Good looking brisket again!

It looks great! If your not getting the results you want just be more patient don't go with IT temp but probe tenderness, forget about time just cook tell its done.

I start w/ meat side down to get bark going then flip after about an hr or 2 depending on where the BDS (not a UDS) settles in at to cook it the rest of the way. Bad side to fat down is sometimes it kills the fire or it becomes too sooty. Most of the time I do a Myron high heat type of foiling w/ liquid at about the stall (160ish) till finish but things were going so well firewise I didn't see the need to foil.

I probably should've let it go another hr or so to see if it loosened up but most of the briskets I've done on my BDS seem to just tighten up more or dry out once I'm up near the 200+ range but they're lower grade than this. I'm just thinking that w/ this BDS being a direct heat fire that I'm not going to get a contest type tenderness unless I get some kind of water pan in it (I've been thinking of drilling some holes to allow me to use a 2nd grate for a water pan - it's single grate model) if it ever will. My biggest problem is getting the time to smoke on a regular basis for practice.

Back