• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much does aging brisket help?

The Virginian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Aging briskets takes some serious advanced planning and, of course, a dedicated fridge. How much does it help with tenderness? Does it help more with choice than with prime? Does anyone age Wagyus? After 12 years of competition, I may be ready to join the pro-aging crowd, but I need some sense of just how big a difference it makes. Any advice welcome.

Brett

Good question. I am also thinking about wet aging. Don't have a dedicated space and equipment for dry aging.

SRF ages their briskets 28 days before mailing/freezing.

If it makes .001 point difference, isn't it worth it?

With that said, IMHO a great brisket not aged is better than an average brisket aged!

It depends on who you ask. Most of the major meat packers say wet aging for long periods can give the beef a metallic taste and cause it to be dry since as the meat breaks down cells rupture and release fluid. I know Creekstone doesn't wet age. The SRF rep told me that they try to let their briskets sit for 30 days prior to freezing but if demand is high (like now) they just freeze them and ship them.

Aging briskets takes some serious advanced planning and, of course, a dedicated fridge. How much does it help with tenderness? Does it help more with choice than with prime? Does anyone age Wagyus?

It helps with flavor, not with tenderness. It's subtle though...you can get a bigger bump by swapping around injections and rubs. People do age all types of briskets, but you do want a dedicated fridge. If people are opening and closing the door all the time (like a kitchen fridge) it can disrupt the process.

I bought one at Walmart that expired next day it was really bendy and it greatly improved my brisket. I figure it's wet aged in the cryovac. I had trim the edges off and I have never had a brisket come out so perfect ever. My wife thought I was nuts to buy it until she tasted it. By far the best brisket I have ever done.

I tend to think I get a stronger beef flavor if I wet age for about 30 days. That being said I like to get my brisket with a recent kill date and wet age my brisket in my extra fridge with a steady cold to the point of almost freezing. I think you do loose some moisture with aging, but it is not the same as loosing moisture during a cook. With wet aging the moisture you loose is not flavor but more pure moisture. If a brisket is 75% water and 25% protein, the wet aging lessens the content of water leaving a higher protein content, thus the stronger beef flavor.

wet age about 30 days, dedicated fridge not the kitchen one..I found if I went to 60 the slices were crumbly, awesome flavor at 60 but texture went away so stay around 30, keep in original cryovac

Back