T-Bone Steak with Bourbon sauce - The Trifecta!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I love entering the Throwdowns because it forces some variety and creativity to what I’m cooking. Since the latest throwdown (Spirited Cooking) required using some form of alcohol in the dish, I decided to use it in all three of the items on my plate for a Trifecta.

I started the day before by making Wampus’s Award Winning Peach Bourbon Baked Beans.

Here are the Ingredients:
3 cans(15 oz.) of Great Northern Beans (Drained and rinsed) (Note: I couldn’t find Great Northern Beans so I used Cannellini Beans)
4-6 slices of thick sliced bacon (I used Maple)
1 lb. JD Maple Sausage log (Smoked) (Note: I couldn’t find Maple so I used regular)
1 med. onion (diced)
1/2 bell pepper (I used red but Wampus uses orange or yellow)
1 1/2 cans (15 oz.) of peaches in syrup (Wampus uses Peach pie filling which I couldn’t find)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Famous Dave’s Apricot Bourbon BBQ Sauce (Note: I couldn’t find this so I used Cherry BBQ Sauce)
2 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup Bourbon
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 tbs. yellow mustard
1 tbs. rub of your choice
1 tsp. ground Cayenne pepper (Optional) (I used Chipotle)

Required photo of Bourbon. (Note: From what I can gather on the internet the Kirkland Bourbon is a middle of the road Bourbon made by Jim Beam for Costco. As I'm not much of a drinker I wouldn't have a slightest idea if it's any good or not. Since I'm only using it for cooking I ddn't feel the need to buy anything real good. I may sneak a taste one of these times but haven't so far)

Cooking Instructions:
Smoke Fatty (I used Peach wood and it can be smoked well before), crumble or dice.

Brown Bacon in skillet (about 1/2 way).

Add onion & pepper and cook until just caramelized.

Add the sauceage and slowly add bourbon & garlic and simmer until caramelized.

Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients to skillet, mix thoroughly.
Put in pan and place in smoker (at 225) and smoke (I added some Peach wood chunks) for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. (4 hours is better)

Stir after 1 hour

And done after 3 hours

The next day I start preparing some Brussel sprouts. Here are the ingredients. (Notice the Black Mountain Zinfandel)

Fry up some bacon until crisp. Dice or crumble this and reserve to add in the dish later.

While that is cooking I clean and quarter the sprouts. Place in a bowl and drizzle with OO and then some fresh ground pepper.

Next take a ¼ red onion and 2 cloves of garlic and cook until soft. (I used the pre-minced garlic so I used 2 tsp.)

Next add 1 cup of Zinfandel (any red wine will do) and let it simmer for 3 minutes.

Now add the sprouts trying to face them down in the sauce. Add the bacon, flip every couple of minutes and cook until somewhat soft.

And now for the main course, T-Bone steak with Bourbon sauce. Here are the ingredients.

Take the steak and press in some garlic, fresh ground pepper and some sea salt. Place in kamado (at 300) on indirect side until it reaches an IT of 115.

While that’s cooking make up the Bourbon sauce. Melt ½ stick of butter and then add ½ a diced onion and a 1 tsp. of garlic and let caramelize.

Now add 2 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce, ¼ cup of Bourbon, 1/2 tsp. of mustard powder and a dash of Sriracha and let this reduce to half.

Once the steak gets to 115 remove and loosely wrap in foil. Open up the vents and let the kamado come up to searing temps. (I was at a dome temp of 600 so the grill was around 700) The flash went off so you can’t see the fire so I’ve included 2 pics.

On it goes for 3 minutes per side.

Love this shot!

Plated shots with a Leinenkugel Vanilla Porter. I still haven't decided which picture will be my entry photo. Any help would be appreciated.

Ooooh Yeeeeah! :becky:

Last edited:
Damn nice work, DeHusker! I'll take a plate of that then have my pie for dessert! :wink: :thumb:

Back