smoking chicken

barbeque nut

Reaction score
Hi, all, I could use some advise on making chicken skin tender on a whole bird. I am using a Lang 84 cooker. Also, could use some chicken recipes if possible. Thanks, BBQNUT

It's my experience you need to cook chicken hotter to get the skin to render out the fat. Not doing so leaves the skin rubbery and that is never a good thing.
325 minimum.
What kind of chicken recipes you looking for? I am a fan of simple chicken - little rub, or sometimes just salt, the into the cooker till it's done.
Check out Kettle Fried Chicken - very tasty and pretty easy to do. Just search KFC.

I like simple too. Just salt and pepper, maybe some herbs. One thing that seems to work to me is to separate the skin from the meat on the breast side, without detaching it. You just stick your fingers in starting from the butt end and make a pouch on each side of the breastbone. Then rub some oil in there (not butter because it contains water) and maybe some herbs.

Definitely, dry brine (salt) and leave open in the fridge overnight first. That'll help dry the skin out to make it crispier.

Then follow LMAJ's advice and cook it towards 350 if you can pull it off with your cooker. 325 can be ok too, depending.

Hi, all, I could use some advise on making chicken skin tender on a whole bird. I am using a Lang 84 cooker. Also, could use some chicken recipes if possible. Thanks, BBQNUT

tender? Usually I want skin crispy with meat tender and juicy....
Usually I rub my chickens with some salt, pepper and ground rosemary
I cook in indirect heat, over a waterpan. Temperature is roughly 300F until is close to 155F to the hearth.
Then I boost the temperature, as higher as I can, so I can have the skin crusty
I can suggest also to "brush" the skin with melted butter and honey just before to boost up the temperature. You'll have a crusty and tasty skin over a juicy chicken

I interpreted "tender" to mean "not rubbery" like it has a tendency to do with low temp smoking. So we're on the same page I think.

IMO: brine it for 12 hours (I'd recommend avoiding using any citrus in the brine). Remove from brine, let sit out (uncovered) for a couple hours in the fridge. Smoke it for 60-70 minutes, then finish it off on a grill (I do this on the firebox side of my offset stick burner). It comes out tender (not rubbery) and the skin gets crisp enough to make me happy.

Have fun!

Thanks for all your great ideas!! I am a salt and pepper man myself, so I will start with the higher temps first and go from there. thanks again, bbq nut

I find that when I cook on the top shelf and get the reflective heat and cook up around 300 (temp higher than that on top shelf) the skin crisp up much better than on the main shelf. A dry brine and having dry skin makes a huge difference.

I've heard of people using meat tenderizer on the skin. It apparently starts to work after cooking, within a certain temp range.

I've been told that mixing a little bit of baking powder/soda (can't remember which one) with your rub will help crisp up the skin but I haven't tried it yet. I just need to remember to do it for the next cook.

I smoked chicken thighs for about 1 hr and then finished them on the wood fired grill. Amazing.

AL

Brine cook hot fast add butter under skin at the breast. Plowboys yard bird, 3eyz, Bobs hav n a bbq works well with chicken.

Dry Brine with Harvest Brine, following the instructions on the package and cook at 375F- 400F indirect.
Or if want to smoke lower, raise temp towards the end to crisp

Lots of good ideas on here. One of these days I need to try brining.

Lately, Ive been using the fat in the bird to my advantage... I have been starting my cook breast side down so the fat from the thighs melts and braises the whiter meat on the bottom. Once you get all that fat melting out, then flip breast side up and finish at high heat, around 325-350. The breast skin will be soaking in fat by that point and it will brown nice and crispy.

Rinse, pat dry, rub cavity, outside & under skin with a blend of soft butter, salt, herbs de provence, & chipotle.

Drink 1/3 of a can of beer, put garlic and onion in the can, put can in cavity.

Drape (minimum 8 slices) bacon in neck cavity and down the sides.

Smoke upright at 325 - 350 until done, rest 10 - 15 minutes, carve!

Results in crispy tender juicy tasty bacony goodness!

**Hint - make more than you think you'll need because everybody will want seconds and/or thirds!

You need to cook them cluckers either hot for a short time or low &slow for a long time to get good skin. 350 + for about an hour or 225 for 5-6 hrs. I always brine and. Go to about190 on the breast never come out dry one always bite through.

Back