Smithfield Extra Tender

Atlasman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know what the availability of these will be this year??

We are in the north east so we are a little limited compared to the Midwest but I still had plenty of ribs to pick from all last year.

Now they have vanished and I'm just wondering if I need to start coming up with a Plan B or not.

thanks

This is the last listing I read of where they will be available through Walmart. AL, AR, CO, GA, IA, KS and MO (including the Kansas City metro, Branson and Springfield ), KY, LA, MT, NC, ND, NE (including Western, Omaha and Lincoln), OK, SD, TN, TX, VA, WY.

That list is for Extra Tender butts. It is a two month trial in those locations that will hopefully lead to the butts being in all stores. Ribs should be back in all stores the first part of March.

I'm still at a loss on this brand and the supposed success therein.

I did a test run with these and they were so "hammy" I couldn't imagine any judge scoring them well based on taste alone regardless of how well I executed the cook.

That list is for Extra Tender butts. It is a two month trial in those locations that will hopefully lead to the butts being in all stores. Ribs should be back in all stores the first part of March.

I've never even seen a exT butt available in my area. Just ribs.

SAMs is carrying Smithfield ribs 2 packs but it doesn't say what version they are. I heard that SAMs was going to carry the fresh pork but not sure that's what these are.

SAMs is carrying Smithfield ribs 2 packs but it doesn't say what version they are. I heard that SAMs was going to carry the fresh pork but not sure that's what these are.

You are correct. Sam's Club carries the Prime Smithfield products.

I did a test run with these and they were so "hammy" I couldn't imagine any judge scoring them well based on taste alone regardless of how well I executed the cook.

Change "supposed" to "verified". Not every product is for everyone, but there is no doubt that most of the top rib cooks in KCBS are using them including the last two Teams of the year in ribs. Obviously, your results may vary. That's why it's great to have options!

We had to change our process to make the ETs work Now using them all the time

are you guys using et butts? or just et ribs? if you are using et butts are you still injecting?

looking at you gettinbasted:wink:

Good to know. I thought it was for ribs.

Change "supposed" to "verified". Not every product is for everyone, but there is no doubt that most of the top rib cooks in KCBS are using them including the last two Teams of the year in ribs. Obviously, your results may vary. That's why it's great to have options!

Hmmmm...and the #2 ToY rib cook for 2016 :mrgreen:

Myself??......I don't see anything special about them and in fact if I was buying ribs to eat myself it wouldn't be these.

I have had them come out horribly "hammy" but it seems totally random. My guess is how long they sit thawed in that solution plays a big role in that but just a guess.

I used them all last year and it was hit and miss for us. Couple 1st and 2nd great calls and some 150's tanks in a very up and down season rib wise.

No denying they win. As has already been said some of the top KCBS teams cook them. That also means some don't. Do I think those top teams would suck all the sudden if we took away their extra tenders?? No chance. I also don't think you can give a mediocre cook ext tenders and he will instantly become the new rib king.

Will they make you or even help you win??.......I doubt it, but they are good enough to win if you do your part and they can be found at Walmart for $10. That's enough for me to at least give them some time on my cookers.

What I find the funniest is years ago it was practically written in stone that when you selected your meat MAKE SURE YOU NEVER grab anything that said "enhanced" or was in a phos solution/brine. Now people are tearing the shelves up at Walmarts across the country trying to find exactly that LOL

Never tried the butts.

You would be suprised how long some of the top rib cooks have been keeping the use of enhanced ribs a secret. It really wasn't until last year with the Smithfield program that teams started publicizing that they use them. I can say from my personal use, my scores in ribs went up significantly since I started using ET ribs. There were were a few times last year I had to use regular ribs and did not have near the success I do when cooking ET's.

Back