Cooking for 700 - Got a question...

Hog1990

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking for 700 teachers on the 6th of August. I am cooking pulled pork and smoked sausage. I have my sausage count figured, but I want to make sure I have enough pork without being grossly under or over...

I have ordered 5 cases of Butts. Each case has 4 two-packs and the average weight is 8.5-9 lbs. I am estimating bewtween 340-360 lbs. This should be enough considering the sausage as well, or is this overkill?

Your thoughts/help are/is appreciated!

With two meats figure 1/4 lb per serving cooked. That's 1/2 lb raw, so you need 350 lbs raw. Depending on how heavy the cases end up being. you in the ballpark, but maybe a little light.

I agree with Ron. You may want to cook a few more butts.

5 cases
8 butts/case
8.5 avg lb/butt
340 lb raw
50% loss in cook (170 lb)
170 lb cooked yield
2,720 oz cooked yield
4 oz serving size
680 yield of 4 oz servings

5.25 cases (42 butts) would yield 714 4 oz servings
5.37 cases (43 butts) would yield 731 4 oz servings
5.50 cases (44 butts) would yield 748 4 oz servings

If YOU are controlling the portion sizes then 42 butts might be enough.
If it is SELF SERVE I would suggest the 43 or 44 butts just to be safe.

We use a contract and have the customer make the decision on how much to order and offer "advice" if asked. This takes away the guess work on quantities.

unless you have a scale out, an extra ounce or 2 on a serving, can kill a line quick. I'd cook 6 cases of butts, and my guess is you'll be basically out when you're done. I usually leave myself wiggle room and cook a pound raw per guest. figure each person eats more along the lines of 6oz a person. Plus, so much ends up in the garbage, and there's no way to stop it.

Back