Buffet Servers

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For you guys that use buffet servers to serve the guests at a buffet do you have one person per item on the buffet? Or does one person serve a few items? We usually let guests serve themselves but I have someone wanting our staff to serve the food at the buffet and need to know how much staff labor I will have so I can price it. Thanks

Sometimes it really depends on the event and the amount of attendees....

If there is an agenda and a schedule to follow... A crowd of 150 attendees or more will take forever if you don't have a person per item as well as sometimes offering multiple lines.

If it is just a relaxed setting like a picnic... there is usually no agenda and the line can move slower allowing one person to serve multiple items.

It's a small wedding fop 45 people, do you think I would be safe pricing it with 3 buffet servers for 2 entree's and 3 sides with cornbread?

Along with IamMadMan's advice I would add that you may also need "runners", for larger events, to supply the serving line with pans of product. Especially if there are time constraints. Any event with a "schedule" requires a good deal of labor. Be sure your customer is aware of these costs up front and understands why those costs are what they are.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=26473

It's a small wedding fop 45 people, do you think I would be safe pricing it with 3 buffet servers for 2 entree's and 3 sides with cornbread?

IMHO you would be okay with this matrix. Let us know how it turns out. It is always nice to hear feedback on events. :mrgreen:

Thanks, I've given the proposal and if we get the job I'll let you know how it goes. I priced it and plan the buffet servers in addition to the staff I normally have handling the food. We'll see what happens.

Last year, in the month of December, we had organized a Christmas party. We have hired kosher catering of Boca Raton, they have provided one person per item on the buffet. Hundreds of guests was very easily handled by them and also the food was awesome. Moreover, it looks well organized when one person serves only one item.

I didn't get the event, I priced it and ended up with another event that was double the money and half the work. She wrote me a day after booking the other one and said she went with another caterer and I told her no problem because I had booked another event so it worked out for both of us. I did price it as one server per item though.

Back