• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wanting to make Beef Jerky

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I would like to start selling beef jerky at local farmers markets in Georgia and am currently doing my research. I have found a USDA approved rental kitchen near Atlanta. Since I am wanting to use my smoker instead of a dehydrator this appears to throw a monkey wrench at the rental kitchen.

From the conversations I have had with the kitchen they may possibly allow me to setup out side of their facility but they are wanting me to contact the USDA to see if they allow me to use my smokers. I have sent a couple of emails to the USDA but I have not heard anything back yet. I may have to call them to get a quicker response.

Has anyone ever gone through this process and if so what was the end result?

-Eric

I received a response from the USDA and they said the following:

Products produced at a Federally inspected facility like Prep where its Grant of Federal Inspection would be utilized and its Mark of Inspection would appear on packaging, would require the producing company to develop a food safety plan (HACCP plan) for its product(s) and a sanitation plan (SSOP plan). As required by Federal regulations, any HACCP food safety system must be developed by an individual who has completed HACCP training. That can either be someone within or outside your company. The facilities part of the SSOP requirements is being met by Prep, but operational sanitation and cleaning will also be the responsibility of the producer/member if I’m not mistaken. Mr. Marranci or someone else at Prep can clarify that.

You can find information about developing a HACCP plan on the FSIS website at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/inspection/apply-for-a-federal-grant-of-inspection
This is normally where an applicant would go for information to apply for inspection. Since Prep is a Federally inspected facility that initial part has been done. The individual producer is still responsible for meeting all other requirements for producing meat or poultry products, including development of a HACCP plan, SSOP plan, any microbiological sampling programs which may be required, labeling approval, etc.

The issue of location of a smoker is not directly a USDA requirement. As identified in the HACCP and SSOP regulations, our concern is the sanitary operation of processes and equipment to prevent the contamination or adulteration of products. Any kind of external transport and handling of products, especially a ready-to-eat product, increases those risks. As a result, the expectation is that measures would be put in place in the HACCP and/or SSOP programs to reduce or eliminate those risks.

Can anyone assist me in setting up a HACCP & SSOP plan or point me in the right direction to create one? I have reached out to the rental kitchen for assistance as well.

-Eric

In KS it is up to the individual Health Dept inspector as to whether the smoker can be located "outside" the commercially licensed kitchen. Some allow it and some require that it be "inside" the kitchen, located under a commercial hood and fire suppression system.

Sorry, can't give any advice on the HCCP & SSOP since we decided long ago not to lay out the required capital it takes to go the route of commercial packaged cooked meat products.

EDIT:
I found these links that might help you out.

HACCP

SSOP

Last edited:
In KS it is up to the individual Health Dept inspector as to whether the smoker can be located "outside" the commercially licensed kitchen. Some allow it and some require that it be "inside" the kitchen, located under a commercial hood and fire suppression system.

Sorry, can't give any advice on the HCCP & SSOP since we decided long ago not to lay out the required capital it takes to go the route of commercial packaged cooked meat products.

What do you mean you decided not to go the route of the commercial packaging? How do you do your packaging?

-Eric

What do you mean you decided not to go the route of the commercial packaging? How do you do your packaging?

-Eric

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. We sell only "ready to eat" food products. The licensing and regs for food that is cooked and then packaged for sale later is a whole different animal. For "packaged foods" the Feds are involved as well as the State/Municipalities/etc. Especially when it is a "potentially hazardous food product" such as meat.

The licensing is more costly. The regs are rather strict and onerous. Due to these aspects the capital outlay is greater since you need specialized equipment and processes. I have a friend that went the route you are considering but he already had a meat processing brick and mortar biz so much of the capital outlay was already in place.

Check into "ready-to-eat" vs "retail packaged foods" with you local HD. They will be able to explain the differences and should be able to point you in the direction of information sources that will show you all the regulations, etc involved.

Back