First Whole Hog

Tut-T-Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hog!Doin my first hog and jus wanna make sure im doin it right. a couple questions id like to know if someone would be able to answer for me. first im doin a job for 90 people. plan on getting a 120 lb pig. should i get an extra butt or two to make sure i have enough meat? Second, is there any special way to clean the hog? it will be gutted and all that mess, i heard something about rubbing vinegar on the inside of the cavity because it helps get the bone dust off the meat the best? would that be true or just hosing is down and cleaning with water be just as efficient? im sure i can cook the hog, i figure its like anything else ive ever smoked. low n slow, and let it do its thing.. the skin is my big question. i have a reverse flow smoker. will the skin turn into pork rinds by the end of the cook or is there something i can do to turn it into pork rinds/chicharones? i see most times the skin is jus pulled n discarded. any and al advice is greatly appreciated. i will show pics this weekend before during and after the event. thanks guys

First, best of luck. At 120#, I would plan on 1 hour per 10 pounds or 12 hours plus a 1–2 hour rest. FWIW, I cook racer style on my RF. I just clean up the inside with water, pat dry with paper towels and apply a good rub; on the outside skin just some EVOO and salt. I generally let the hog get 2-3 hours of smoke then wrap with foil to get that nice mahogany red skin. Just remember a 120# hog will yeild a couple quarts of rendered fat, make sure you have a good drain and use it.

My last couple cooks:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209052
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184954

I did this one a few weeks ago. it was 130# and took about 13 hours bouncing around between 250-275...just pat the skin dry, coat with olive oil and kosher salt/black pepper. She will be plenty moist.....

Last edited:
I did this one a few weeks ago. it was 130# and took about 13 hours bouncing around between 250-275...just pat the skin dry, coat with olive oil and kosher salt/black pepper. She will be plenty moist.....

I hear something..........oh........it's my stomach GROWLING!!!! That Looks GREAT!!!!! :icon_smile_tongue:

Back