Just bought a case of BIG briskets...

embo500

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ordered a case of whole brisket from Sam's. I show up to get it tonight, and the package is 100lbs on the nose. Well, my last case was only about 75 lbs or so, so I'm wondering what the heck they stuffed into this thing.

Get it home and open it up...there are only 6 briskets in it...that's right, an average of 16lbs per brisket!!

Doesn't that seem kind of odd to any of you?

I'm not complainin'. :-D

Ordered a case of whole brisket from Sam's. I show up to get it tonight, and the package is 100lbs on the nose. Well, my last case was only about 75 lbs or so, so I'm wondering what the heck they stuffed into this thing.

Get it home and open it up...there are only 6 briskets in it...that's right, an average of 16lbs per brisket!!

Texas briskets. Been told everything is bigger in........:biggrin:

Wow.....my cases usually average about 70-75 lbs.

I'm thinking this was just a dream. :biggrin:

Sounds like you have whole packer briskets.

Look at the date on the end of the box, see when they were packaged.

Ive heard folks say they hold over 45 days if cryovaced packages are good and tight.

Ive kept flats the same abt of time in my beer fridge, bottom shelf is at 33 degrees.

I buy them by the case and freeze when I get home. I have used them up to 6 months after purchase and never had a problem.

My comp briskets are right at 14 lb. I like cooking packers.

These were whole packers...I've just never seen a case where every one of them was this big.

I have 3 of them on the CS680 right now...I couldn't put anything more on there right now if I tried!

I think someone is talking, but I am not hearing or seeing anything. I guess my mind is racing.

This must be one of those "phantom" brisket cases that only show up around halloween.....

This must be one of those "phantom" brisket cases that only show up around halloween.....

"It's the Great Big Box of Briskets, Charlie Brown!!" (Linus Mod)

I don't want to be a spoiler, but these heavy packers may also have a big, thick fat cap on them which may account for some of that weight. I saw some at Wally's a while back for around 28 bones each and I kid you not but the fat cap was thicker than the flat. I hope that's not the "case" (pun intended) for you. How bout a pic of those bad boys.

Alright you punks!! Here's the PRON!!!

There are 3 from this case (of 6) on the smoker right now. Smoker is a CS680. We're at hour 12, and the two unwrapped ones are still below 160!

IMG_1291.JPG

The other 3 sitting in the freezer (Maybe I'll do these around Thanksgiving or something)
IMG_1292.JPG

And here is the empty case. You can see the weight (100.8 lbs), and the price paid ($175...$1.74/lb.) Cryovac'ed a month ago...not really a big fan of that, but the meat was fine. But I have definitely gotten fresher meat from Sam's.
IMG_1293.JPG

There we go!! Those look like really nice packers...........very thin fat cap from what I can see. Nice score!!

Sincerely,

PunkBrisket!:-D

P.S. Those little chubs of ground beef..........looks like they would perfect for some beef fatty's.

P.S. Those little chubs of ground beef..........looks like they would perfect for some beef fatty's.
Good idea. I've never tried that...I usually use them for burgers or in casseroles. I get 1/4 cow of organic beef every summer, and it usually nets me 60 - 70 chubs like this. I get some steaks and roasts with it as well. The quality of beef is amazing for everything except the short ribs. They are the worst short ribs I've ever seen. Virtually no meat on them at all...lots of fat though. Mostly they go to the dogs.

Back