Habanero pepper sauce - home made

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Since my bride-to-be brought home a handful of habenero peppers of various colors... dared to handle these hot buggers. Broke out the latex gloves and safety goggles because have heard enough nighmarish stories of mishandling peppers.

For my first batch - a simple approach.

(3) fresh peppers - seeded, stemmed, and white inner rind removed.
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 white onion (small - coarsely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Added dry components into a mini processor and pulsed to a puree. Added the vinegar and let run for a few minutes. (I prefer my sauces a little chunky). Tasted just fine for my first time out. Appreciated the strong hit in the back of my throat... not sweat-like; but a nasal-clearing moment not too intensive. I like it!!!

For a cool twist - scraped the pepper pulp off the processor and placed it in a few stalks of celery. What a twist of multiple sensations... cool, fresh, and hot!

The evidence: the pulp clinging to the processor.
20140920_1839021_zpscf5ff7fb.jpg

And the secret stash....
20140920_1839571_zps31e2e95a.jpg

Wow!

Last edited:
That looks very green. I like the idea of the pepper remnants and celery, I can see how that would be a useful condiment.

Thanks for the recipe! I haven't gotten habaneros in a while - not for any reason, I just haven't thought about it. I do like them though. I think the flavor is great - I like hot stuff, but not crazy blinding "I dare you to eat this" hot. I'll give this a shot. Habanero and carrot is a good combo.

That is a purty bottle of sauce right there - oh - and good to see ya!

Why am I thinking about scrambled eggs all the sudden? :noidea:

Oh yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Hananeros have such a distinct burn. I love them and your sauce looks worth repeating.

Oh, yeah, brother man, that looks really good. Thanks for the recipe. Bring me a bottle when you and the missus comes to visit, will ya? ;)

My wife just asked me, "why are you smiling?"

Back