Fatty size in relation to biscuit size

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a bit nitpicky....but my family LOVES nekkid fatties.
More specifically, I cook a few at a time, freeze them, then thaw, and slice it into "patties" that we'll later use for breakfast sammies.

The Pillsbury "Grands" are the best store bought biscuits money can buy, but they're WAY tool big for a fatty. They've since started making "Mini-Grands", but they still don't correlate to the "correct" size.

That being said, I can't help but to think of Jeannie's "Fatty Piston".

Thoughts, ideas?
What do y'all do?
Any solutions?

I would get a couple of chubs, mix them together, and make a bigger fatty to cook.
That should be easier than trying to change out the bread away from something you like such as the Grands.

Good Eats!

TIM

If you squeeze the sausage chub from the ends, they get thicker around. Just a nudge inwards.

And yes, I am a little sad I know this. But, my fatty slices match the bun.

Whomp biscuits are not allowed on the property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I roll my own and make 'em any size I dam well please as I have an extensive tin can collection. Normally the size of a Calumet baking powder tin lid that gives a 99:100 Fattie to Biscuit ratio.

+1 on the frozen grands. I have been grating 1/2 my fatty on the large hole box grater to add in the gravy. Then I fry up slices of the rest. If I'm not making scratch biscuits the frozen grands are darn good and better sized.

Whomp biscuits are not allowed on the property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I roll my own and make 'em any size I dam well please as I have an extensive tin can collection. Normally the size of a Calumet baking powder tin lid that gives a 99:100 Fattie to Biscuit ratio.

Yep... this entirely works every time.

If you can make a nekkid fatty... make a biscuit from scratch and enjoy the difference. They fit hand in glove.

Fattie

Gotta try the nekkid fatty with Jimmy Dean maple, with the pepper jelly on our salt and pepper biscuits (which beats any canned biscuits)......:clap:

I don't mind the Grands if I am in a hurry, and have some on hand, but I was informed by my 5 year old Grandson just yesterday, they are ok, but are not the right kind of biscuit for sausage gravy and biscuits. Of course he is absolutely correct. :doh:
Dave

I don't mind the Grands if I am in a hurry, and have some on hand, but I was informed by my 5 year old Grandson just yesterday, they are ok, but are not the right kind of biscuit for sausage gravy and biscuits. Of course he is absolutely correct. :doh:
Dave

Smart grandson you have there Mo-Dave! Scratch cat-head biscuits are the bomb. They soak up that ribbon cane syrup just right, and of course, that home made gravy. Can biscuits can't hold up to them. I like the Grands, for a quick down and quick biscuit for eggs with bacon, etc. But for serious biscuit eatin, scratch buttermilk's are the way to go.

Have a blessed day!

Omar

Go to GFS and get their 5lb fattie ( last 3 were 12.81 ea.) I don't believe it has any fillers like the major brands. I find them to be a much better product. This is cut into about 3rds to give you an idea, with 1/3 missing from the end. You can shape them smaller, but I believe the size is perfect for what your after once smoked.

Wow, great information all, thank you.

I think what I've taken away from this thread, mostly, is I need to stop being lazy and make my own biscuits.
That being said, how about spilling your secret recipe on breakfast biscuits. :clap2:

Ok, let me address a few here....

Peeps, I've never seen, nor head of frozen Grands, but I'll certainly look since there are a couple recommendations here.

Tim, I've thought about getting a couple chubs and combining them into a larger one. But then we're back at making the "Piston" like Jeanie has. Good idea.

Trunks, I wouldn't let cooked meat stay in the fridge passed about four to five days. I'm basing that on what I've gotten away with, not scientific knowledge. Your results may vary, but your digestive tract will notify you if you've waited too long.
:laugh:

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to pan fry up some fatty slices for the family before church today.

The nice thing about the frozen ones is they are crumbly like a homemade biscuit and you can cook as few as you like without a can size minimum.

Back