ketchup slather

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I saw this mentioned in another thread. Instead of steeling that thread, I present ketchup slather.

Story; I was out of mustard for sticking my rub on a pair of butts. But I did have ketchup, so mixed my rub in with ketchup and brushed the slather on my butts.

Best butts I had cooked thus far, carried some in for a department party, and one gal went crazy over it. Who did the butts, who did the butts, best ever.

So, I never changed back.

Why change a good thing?

Attachments

• P1020099.JPG
    P1020099.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 333
  • P1020100.JPG
    P1020100.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 327
My fear of ketchup is the sugar content and possibility of burning. What were your temp ranges?

How's the smoke ring? Mayo blocked the smoke from what I experienced!

How's the smoke ring? Mayo blocked the smoke from what I experienced!

Here is a common trend around here....Are you sure it was the mayo? Are you sure you didn't use enough smoke, or smoke for a long enough time? Are you sure there was enough moisture...ect..ect :biggrin1:

What I find funny is this:

We have no problem dunking chicken in a white sauce (mayo)
Glazing our ribs with BBQ sauce (ketchup)
Squirting Carolina sauce on our butt (mustard)

But we can't bring ourselves to slather the meat with anything BUT mustard? cmon brers. Cmon.

What I find funny is this:

We have no problem dunking chicken in a white sauce (mayo)
Glazing our ribs with BBQ sauce (ketchup)
Squirting Carolina sauce on our butt (mustard)

But we can't bring ourselves to slather the meat with anything BUT mustard? cmon brers. Cmon.

But.. but it's not traditional! I owe nothing to tradition so what do I know...

What I'm wondering is-just how much rub are you people using that you require an adhesive to get it to stick? I've never had a problem relying on the meat's normal moisture to hold the rub.

Here is a common trend around here....Are you sure it was the mayo? Are you sure you didn't use enough smoke, or smoke for a long enough time? Are you sure there was enough moisture...ect..ect :biggrin1:

You forgot to write that in ALL CAPS :clap:

What I'm wondering is-just how much rub are you people using that you require an adhesive to get it to stick? I've never had a problem relying on the meat's normal moisture to hold the rub.

It's not using it to get the rub to stick... it's more looking to see if it adds anything to the flavor profile of the meat or enhance the texture, if at all. If I need a wetting agent than I will just use the animal's blood like a savage.

Back