"Tis the season.. Hatch Chiles. How do you prepare them

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Lots of folks roast 'em, others eat them fresh.
What other preparations do you use?

Smoke 'em & dry 'em?
Mince?

How do you do them?

Smoke 'em or roast/broil 'em, then throw into a food processor for a salsa or chili.

My wife's the resident Hatch expert, she's a northern NM native. She likes them roasted, peeled & seeded. Then either chopped or halved and vacuum sealed. We prepared 10 lbs last Sunday.

My favorite dishes to make using them are chile rellenos, huevos rancheros, chicken enchiladas and hatch chile mac & cheese. :bow:

Grill, peel, halve, and seed. Slice into 7/8-inch strips and wrap around a 1-inch piece of string cheese, wrap in won-ton wrapper and deep fry.

Game day chili rellenos apps!

I am getting a case of roasted hatch chiles from a local market on Wednesday. I am going to freeze most of them and use as the mood hits me!

After roasting and steeping in a trash bag for a couple of hours I just put them in quart freezer bags with peels and seeds. I find it easier to peel them after the freeze/thaw cycle. Of course it might have something to do with how much I'm putting in the freezer. I usually do about 80 lbs. at a time. That's how I've done it for the last 60 years, works for me.

Lots of folks roast 'em, others eat them fresh.
What other preparations do you use?

Smoke 'em & dry 'em?
Mince?

How do you do them?

Here's how I did them. I bought the "Big Jim" chilies, as I liked
the flavor better. This place had samples for you to taste to find the
one you like best.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOgWZGxBOY"]Fire Roasted Green Chili's, and a short road trip - YouTube[/ame]

Roast and de-skin. Slice in half, clean out seeds, leave in halves.
Bag and freeze them.
Thaw out, use complete halves on burgers, omelettes, etc. Mince or blend for salsa, etc.

My wife's the resident Hatch expert, she's a northern NM native. She likes them roasted, peeled & seeded. Then either chopped or halved and vacuum sealed. We prepared 10 lbs last Sunday.

My favorite dishes to make using them are chile rellenos, huevos rancheros, chicken enchiladas and hatch chile mac & cheese. :bow:

Did 5lbs this way last week. Only finding mild around here...wish I could get some hotter. I'm busy this weekend but if I still see them around after next Monday I'll buy another few lbs.

I am getting a case of roasted hatch chiles from a local market on Wednesday. I am going to freeze most of them and use as the mood hits me!
Where ya getting them from? Any idea of the price? I called Heinan's, they're $2/lb. case price, same as last year?

After roasting and steeping in a trash bag for a couple of hours I just put them in quart freezer bags with peels and seeds. I find it easier to peel them after the freeze/thaw cycle. Of course it might have something to do with how much I'm putting in the freezer. I usually do about 80 lbs. at a time. That's how I've done it for the last 60 years, works for me.

Same here for batches I'm not using within a week or so...roast and let sit. Freeze with skin still on. When you thaw just rinse under a stream of water and the charred skin comes right off! Been doing this way for years!

How do y'all go about roasting them?

Small hot fire in the Weber. Watch them close, turn frequently so they get black or blistered on all sides..then throw them in a ziploc or plastic bag for 30 min and seal it up.

hlmaINsg.jpg

aizGiOUg.jpg

Small hot fire in the Weber. Watch them close, turn frequently so they get black or blistered on all sides..then throw them in a ziploc or plastic bag for 30 min and seal it up.

hlmaINsg.jpg

aizGiOUg.jpg

Thanks! Gonna stock up on these this year. Barely caught the end of season last year.

You're in Texas, check your local HEB for roasting dates.

How do y'all go about roasting them?

If you're only doing small quantities, a gas stove will work in a pinch, a gas grill would be much better. You're just looking to char & blister the skin on all sides. Then let them steam in a paper bag using the latent heat from roasting to make peeling easier.

I prefer to buy them freshly roasted from HEB or Chuy's where they use gas roasters in the parking lot like this: [ame]https://youtu.be/M-PuxrnU7F0[/ame]

I'm with you on this one. With the amount that I buy each year I dont want to sit at the table peeling all that chile at once. Once they cool down enough to handle after roasting I will vacuum seal 1/2lb - 1lb bags and freeze. As far as what food to put green chile on...EVERYTHING!!! Green chile smoked meatloaf, yum. Green chile cornbread, yum.

The hotter the better.

Carl

Back