• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gas vs. Electric? (Gasp!!)

Mind you, I dont live in MO (snow & all), but I dont have to babysit too much, even though I use an offset. I'm thinking you may be doing a few other things less-than-stellar that may be hampering your efforts.

Its not so much that I'm not turning out good Q or having trouble keeping temps with any of my cookers. Its quite the opposite really. My Coleman will keep 225-250 for 2 or 3 hours without any adjustments on the intake. If i keep adjusting the intake as the fire burns at that temp, I can cook for 8-10 hours on one load of Stubb's. But still, that takes supervision.

I'm mostly just experimenting so the oven isn't out of the picture either.

You can get stubb's off amazon $18 for 15lbs. Royal Oak $7.90 for 16lbs. If you have a prime account you get free 2 day shipping to your door step.

I own a Traeger and love it. While you wont get as much smoke the baby makes bbq'ing easy. For example I recently had a party where I needed to smoke 4 butts by 11am. I threw them on the Traeger at 9 pm filled my hopper and went to bed. It's important to note that I also live in a cold climate with snow and the traeger powered through all night. I woke up with my butts almost done and ready to eat. They came out amazing and the fact I didn't have to wake up at 3 am is worth any amount of money.

One thing to consider if the gas your talking about using is Propane. The tank pressure will drop in the tank in cold weather. May have to swap out for a fresh one and let the other warm up again.

One thing to consider if the gas your talking about using is Propane. The tank pressure will drop in the tank in cold weather. May have to swap out for a fresh one and let the other warm up again.

Unless you sit the propane tank on the grill...:boom:

I use a Brinkmann electric when I don't want to do anything but stick some wood in there and fill up a water pan. I think it runs pretty consistently and has provided me with a few good Boston butts, but it has always done poorly on ribs although I think that might have to do with my technique and me leaving then unfoiled too long and on the smoker too long overall.

They are cheap too, like around $70 plus tax. It's nice to have when I don't want to fire up the Mini WSM, although I will say that the set and forget electric is almost as much work to set up as the Mini WSM I have, it just doesn't have to be tended on the temp and it gets going a lot faster as well. The smoke flavor that I get on the electric seems to be almost the same as well, albeit a little less of that "charcoal" fire flavor.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the Brinkmann and if they have had good luck with one.

Got one of the Masterbuilt cookers myself. Its the 30 electric. Done alot of cooking in that and its been reliable. Piece of advice if you pick one up, take off the control package on the top and take it inside. They are sensitive. Also keep it covered, or better yet inside a shed or garage.

Back