Brisket temp/ probe tender

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I cooked the brisket til most was probe tender some spots are questionable. Internal in the point was 204 was I pulled it off. Wrapped in butcher paper, and tented with towels now. Hoping it is good. 9 pounder smoked with apple for 7 hours around 300 degrees. It dropped to 205 once because I got tied up for an hour, but it was not down long. You guys think it is done, and will be okay? First brisket
10171088_10205011677630271_5111536248227532450_n.jpg.html

That was prolly a hair under but with the wrap and towels it probably carried thru.
It looks great!
Always check temp in the thickest part of the flat but probing is best.

9lb is pretty small for a full packer (possible, but not in texas)...can't tell from the picture.

In any case, you should not be judging a brisket by the point. The point has too much marbling and will always be done before the flat and is always tender.

I start probing the thickest part of the flat for tenderness, when I reach 195. I use the temp only as an indicator to being close. I have had briskets come off between 205 and 210. No 2 briskets are alike.

Hope it all works out for you, the bark in your pic looks good!

I cook 8-10LB packers all the time. They don't cook any faster than a 14LB packer. Most are done between 203-210. Only probe the thickest part of the flat. You won't know now until you slice it. The foil and towel wrap will help it cook a little more if you didn't vent it too long.

I let it rest for a little over two hours waiting on my girlfriend to get home. Did a test taste at one hour rest time, and it was perfect. One hour seemed like a good rest time. Two hours seemed a little long. I was probing the thickest part of the flat. As normal with briskets from what I hear only slice what you can eat. That stuff dries out pretty quick. Moist for a few minutes. At one hour rest the slices would fall on there on weight, but not fully separate, and were super juicy. I was pleasantly surprised, and plan to do more of them.

That's a nice looking smoke ring to go with the bark.

Enjoy!

Looks waaaaay better than my first brisket - nice job!!

I usually let it go to 205 and then rest for about 10min before i wrap in foil.I like to let temp like 205 before i put away so as too let the butt not continue to cook higher. I them wrap and hold infor about 2 hours before we have dinner. I have had great success. This is my way tender as baby butt
jerry:blabla:

Back