The things that make a contest great Ancillary turn-ins

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
What is your favorite or least favorite extra category at a KCBS cook-off. I have not had too many yet.

So far I have seen beans, sausage, and dessert. Next week adds anything butt to the list for me.

What else have you seen and which ones do you like or dislike?

I don't mind any categories I've seen, but some comps can do too many. Grand Rapids have 4 extra on Friday, and 2, to be turned in prior to the main 4, on Saturday... It was a bit much, but I like the split of extra categories on Friday instead of Saturday.

We've done beans once, sausage twice and sauce once. Sauce is probably the easiest (no presentation to worry about in most cases). Hermann, Missouri has sauce, wings and brats later this year. There's also potatoes and vegetables. I've heard of (but haven't seen) seafood.

Of the ones we've done, I think I enjoyed doing the beans the most. Most times, however, being that there's just the two of us, we don't do the ancillary turn-in categories. Just isn't enough time.

Chefs choice in Windsor VT was interesting because they were required to use the Harpoon beer in their sauce. Of the 6 I tasted everyone used IPA which made it a very difficult judging for me because I do not like the taste of IPA at all. It would have been nice to be a the table that had the Dark or wheat beer oh well. I put my dislike aside and tried to be fair about the results but on some it was really tough to do.

I Like Side Dish And Desert.
A New One For Me Will Be Pizza Here In Nebraska at the end of the month

sausage is probably most common. In NE, we see a lot of pork chops, fish steak, chicken wings and steak as well

I don't like additional categories, personally. Maybe it's because we always lose to a dessert in Laurie, MO!:twisted:

Did I mention that I'm partial to Anything But, especially if it has to include Brats, beer or cheese? :-D :-D

Back