Quick question: Do any of you think the outer skin gets a little chewy on the PBC? Or am I letting it get too hot too early? I dearly love cooking ribs on the PBC, and the flavor is off the chain, but every time I go back to the tried and true WSM the texture seems softer and juicier.

Quick question: Do any of you think the outer skin gets a little chewy on the PBC? Or am I letting it get too hot too early? I dearly love cooking ribs on the PBC, and the flavor is off the chain, but every time I go back to the tried and true WSM the texture seems softer and juicier.

Are you talking about the bark? If so, that’s probably your rub’s fault that has too much sugar in it. I’d go less with it a or switch to something more savory than sweet. Also, if you’re foiling, wrap when you like the color (not too dark) which it at 2 hours for me. 3= too dark.

D&D-

Thanks for the info! I've been super happy with just letting them ride but so many on the site foil so I figure I should give it a try and which way I prefer.

Sure, that’s what the Brethren are here for! One other note since I don’t set the glaze by grilling: it’s important to allow about 20-30 minutes for the sauce to soak into the ribs for the best flavor and texture, IMO. After resting in the warmer\Cambro, you’ll see that your pretty glaze had been absorbed by the meat. Just apply a quick 2nd coat before cutting and then serve to happy friends and family.

Are you talking about the bark? If so, that’s probably your rub’s fault that has too much sugar in it. I’d go less with it a or switch to something more savory than sweet. Also, if you’re foiling, wrap when you like the color (not too dark) which it at 2 hours for me. 3= too dark.

Not so much the bark, but the outer layer of the meat. Like it forms a skin.

I'm going to be doing 4 racks of side ribs this coming Saturday in the PBC, should I just let them ride the whole 4-6 hours without moving them? I want to sauce them too, but every time I've tried moving ribs near the end of the cook I always end up with one in the coals.

Any ideas? I can't fit 4 racks on the grate, of course, unless I put them in a rib rack. Hmmm...

Not so much the bark, but the outer layer of the meat. Like it forms a skin.

Never had this. I usually let mine ride without foil but have used foil a couple times. I'm never experienced anything like you are describing. I agree though it must be something in the rub or you could be wrapping too early?? Not sure

Make a rack with your normal rub and make one with something with less sugar and see what happens....It's always delicious to experiment with the PBC.....:becky:

One other thing, you aren't using enhanced ribs right?

No, the last batch I did were " minimally processed ". That's a good idea to try different rubs. I may have to do some for a non-traditional Easter ( my Sister's request ) next week. Thanks.

Not sure enhanced would cause that but thought I'd ask anyway. Do you monitor your cooker temps??

I'm going to be doing 4 racks of side ribs this coming Saturday in the PBC, should I just let them ride the whole 4-6 hours without moving them? I want to sauce them too, but every time I've tried moving ribs near the end of the cook I always end up with one in the coals.

Any ideas? I can't fit 4 racks on the grate, of course, unless I put them in a rib rack. Hmmm...
One option is to cut your ribs in half. Since you should have eight hooks, 4 ribs cut in half should work fine. I've also had ribs break apart when I take them off and try to put them back on so I've gone to saucing on the side.

No, I never have.

Wonder if your cooker may be running a little hot causing the sugar in your rub to make the outer layer of your ribs form a "skin"? Realize I'm just tossing out ideas.... nothing scientific...lol..:becky:

Wonder if your cooker may be running a little hot causing the sugar in your rub to make the outer layer of your ribs form a "skin"? Realize I'm just tossing out ideas.... nothing scientific...lol..:becky:

That would not surprise me. I like my coals to ash over before I put the meat on. I am highly averse to start up charcoal taste.

Back