Creating a Standard Comp Format

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

If you were to create a format for judging BBQ at competitions, what would you judge the turn-ins on?

Taste, texture, aroma, appearance, originality, ?????

Eric

Hi,

If you were to create a format for judging BBQ at competitions, what would you judge the turn-ins on?

Taste, texture, aroma, appearance, originality, ?????

Eric

I was at one contest that used "Quality of Smoke". Whatever that meant.

I would say Taste would be the major factor in my system, texture of meat and then, yes, smoke flavor. We cook over wood producing smoke. Why dont we have that as a factor in our judging? Maybe some think that is rolled up in taste. I tasted a few good pieces of chicken at Stagecoach last weekend, but not one had any smoke flavor.

I tasted a few good pieces of chicken at Stagecoach last weekend, but not one had any smoke flavor.

Because few teams smoke any chicken, most seem to grill, and/or "fry" in a tin pan so they can short cut the cook, get skin they think is what the judges are looking for, without working it and so on and so forth.

To add it to judging would be difficult because just like a smoke ring you can fake it I think.

I'd go sauceless on the meat. Too many flaws can be covered up under the sauce, let the meat stand on its own.

Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens!

Here we go again... :roll: The horse has long been dead. Leave the poor thing along.

Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens! Dump the greens!
Ditto

I'd go sauceless on the meat. Too many flaws can be covered up under the sauce, let the meat stand on its own.

I'll agree with both these guys.

Hey Eric, if we are lookin gat setting new standards then I have some suggestions. If you want to move BBQ beyond the here's a hunk of smoked meat, taste it arena, then we need to be open to other categories of assessment. Certainly eating with your eyes is real. So I disagree with above, if we are doing new categories, then the use of greens is encouraged, and as such will be scored. Smoke/smokiness/smoke ring...easily faked but could be a category. Certainly flavor and texture stay. So far we have: Visual/Smokiness/texture/taste...any other suggestions? I think what Eric is trying to do is just open up the thought process, expand the idea of judging BBQ, go outside the box a bit. Scott

get rid of the garnish, only allow a piece of aluminum foil in the box. First off it levels the playing field, even thou garnish is not supposed to be judged, it often is because you have to look at it.
Next it has to be taste, and taste is all the flavorings added to the meat, or just the sweet taste of the meat itself. Rubs, sauce, injections, even smoke contribute to the overall taste of the meat. Too much flavor should not be awarded when we are trying to barbeque food, not cover up bad bbq with rubs and sauces.
Appearance wise, smoke ring is numero uno in my book, if your food doesnt have one, it wasnt properly barbequed!!
Texture has to stay in there, but its all dependent on the category, was the chicken rubbery, no good. Ribs fall apart too easily, no good, brisket slices fall apart when picked up, no good, porks chewy, no good.

with all that being said, id say get rid of the garnish and leave well enough alone.

SIDE - degree of difficulty, could you expound? I was seriously trying to figure out a divisional thing for the way the meat was cooked, i.e. wood/coal/pellets. Maybe attaching a degree of difficulty value. Meaning BBQ over wood is x 2.0 coal 1.9 and pellets 0.2 or something similar. This would be more reflective of the pitmaster's abilities.

yakfishingfool - now can you explain to how its more difficult to cook over wood than charcoal? I understand pellet poopers should almost have a penalty attached because it just makes it too easy. But charcoal as opposed to wood, id say are equal. I know people say its harder to cook on wood, but its just as hard to keep a nice steady charcoal fire going also.

We need to get rid of charcoal chimmnys and lighters and weed burners too, if you cant start your fuel with a flint or two sticks, you are not a pit master!

Back