Here's an observation........

1buckie

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I like unsauced full spares the best.....sometimes I'll cut down to St. Lou's to cook a little faster, but the extra fattiness of a good, plump full is nice....

These ones were from sometime back & I really liked the juicyness factor....

Hard to see 'cause it's in the shade, but the smoke ring went all the way thru these pups.....that's optimum in my book, but some might call the juice "grease" or term it too fatty or greasy.....

LasySundayApril2012013.jpg

LasySundayApril2012015.jpg

These were some from a few weeks back & were coming up to just right but needed a tad more time.....

Ribs26Inch024.jpg

I went in & like a doofus, fell asleep on the couch for just enough time to cook thru that ever-so-desired juicyness........

Ribs26Inch033.jpg

They were VERY tender, not dry, but not all drippy, juicy like the first ones......

Now, after a long roundabout description, here's the question:

Which way do you like them?

Are you put off by overly drippy meat.......or is that the what you're looking for in a rib cookup?

Kind of a fine-tuning question, I guess.....

why not trim that bony end off? do you actually sit there and pick the bones out to eat that part? seems like kind of a pain

I like Full Spares no sauce and I like 'em juicy!! If I don't need to be hosed down out back after I've had my fill..... well then something was not quite right.

Ribs being to juice, never heard of such a thang, thats what paper towels and bibs are for. I also like to do my spares full, being trimmed really is not saving very much time off the cook, by the time it takes to trim to a St Louis cut. I enjoy picking through the bones for the meat, I mean they are going to get cooked eventually, and the bone will have to be picked through then unless you don't mind throwing money in the trash.
Dave

Count me in for the full spares, no trim, nice and juicy too. A good rub, no sauce.
That is my favorite way.

why not trim that bony end off? do you actually sit there and pick the bones out to eat that part? seems like kind of a pain
All the meat around the cartilage can be eaten the same way the meat on the bones is eaten. All that goes back on the plate is bone and cartilage.

I like whole spares. For me, trimmed spares are missing something. Loin backs, to me, are not worthwhile.

St. Louis cut, dry rubbed - no sauce.

I like them with a bit of tug, not falling off the bone (bite through like the judges look for)

Nothing worse than cooking the perfect ribs at home only to hear a family member say they love them falling off the bone :fish::fish::

I like St. Louis without sauce. I usually taste a few while cooking and don't eat much after the cook. I'll eat with sauce but I really like the without

I like whole spares. For me, trimmed spares are missing something. Loin backs, to me, are not worthwhile.

St. Louis cut, dry rubbed - no sauce.

I like them with a bit of tug, not falling off the bone (bite through like the judges look for)

Nothing worse than cooking the perfect ribs at home only to hear a family member say they love them falling off the bone :fish::fish::

I like St. Louis without sauce. I usually taste a few while cooking and don't eat much after the cook. I'll eat with sauce but I really like the without

St. Lou's or not might be one question, nut the real thing I was wondering about is that there juicyness factor?

Definitely want mine juicy!

By the way, is that a Dexter Russell spatula in the first pic? S825, by chance? Love mine for my cast iron.

JoeMap

Definitely want mine juicy!

By the way, is that a Dexter Russell spatula in the first pic? S825, by chance? Love mine for my cast iron.

JoeMap

Yeah, I think so....not here at the moment to check....

3-6-2013Beef096.jpg

Thanks Mr. C. Harry......just kinda wondering what other people out there in the world thought or liked.....the wife wants sauce, everybody else just eats what I feed 'em......:biggrin1:

I usually don't trim my spares, but sometime I do if I feel like it that day. I like rub every time and sauce some of the time. The same way every time gets kinda borrrring.

do what you like and be happy

St. Louis cut come out less juicy than whole spares, for me. Plus St. Louis are extra work. I can have a package of whole spares ready to go on the grill in less time than it takes to start the coals. Remove the membrane, apply the rub, and they are ready to go.

Back