Competition Brisket Bark

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I had some disagreement with my husband last night. He made an awesome brisket, but tried something a little different with the cooking and the bark on the brisket was a little tough. It had a bit of a beef jerky texture to it while the inside was moist and great. He really liked the tougher outside bark. I did not and felt it made the meat seem dry, even though it was moist meat.

He thinks brisket should have a crust on the outside, compared to the brisket we typically make that has a soft bark. I have never had brisket with a tough bark on the outside at competition judging or restaurants. So I ask you my brothers, should brisket bark be firm or soft? What scores better with judges. I think if you are not used to firm/tough bark and you get it, like myself you don't care for the texture. As a judge the tenderness of this brisket was perfect, but the tough bark killed it for me so if I were judging I would likely score 6-7 texture score.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!
Eggspert BBQ

Personally, I like a nice crusty, barky exterior as well, but just on the CHANCE that a judge wouldn't, I can't see turning slices in that way.

I recently worked out my technique to get a more "crunchy" bark. I used to get a soft bark. I find the crunchy bark feels more authentic and gives a better overall taste and appearance. But that is just me...

Judges are instructed to do the "pull test" on a slice to help determine the tenderness. From what you are describing, the slice would pull fairly easily (like it should) but the bark would NOT. This would result in deduction in the score for tenderness. I personally like a bit of tooth to the bark, but if it doesn't pull the same as the rest of the slice you may be harming your scores.

I had some disagreement with my husband last night. He made an awesome brisket, but tried something a little different with the cooking and the bark on the brisket was a little tough. It had a bit of a beef jerky texture to it while the inside was moist and great. He really liked the tougher outside bark. I did not and felt it made the meat seem dry, even though it was moist meat.

He thinks brisket should have a crust on the outside, compared to the brisket we typically make that has a soft bark. I have never had brisket with a tough bark on the outside at competition judging or restaurants. So I ask you my brothers, should brisket bark be firm or soft? What scores better with judges. I think if you are not used to firm/tough bark and you get it, like myself you don't care for the texture. As a judge the tenderness of this brisket was perfect, but the tough bark killed it for me so if I were judging I would likely score 6-7 texture score.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!
Eggspert BBQ

Remind him the wife is always right!

bark and burnt ends to me have the same thought process with people. The name makes you think crunchy or crusty, to me I think the exact opposite. Soft flavorful juicy texture from outside to in.

I don't like crunchy bark or soggy bark. I like it right in the middle, using butcher paper helps. I also agree that bark doesn't seem to be a factor in comps. even down here in TX. However, if you give them some nice in-between bark and some good meat- why not?

Remind him the wife is always right!

+1 they control half of every thing and all of one thing........ so if momma aint happy, nobodys happy!
bark is overrated in competition bbq...
+1
A competition judge wouldn't know what real bark was if it hit them in the face! ;)
a judge that competes equal amount they judge would. unfortunately everyone bastes with pan juices and sauce when the meat is sliced before boxing which is technically against the rules. hell if you cant beat em, copy em!

+1 they control half of every thing and all of one thing........ so if momma aint happy, nobodys happy!

+1

a judge that competes equal amount they judge would. unfortunately everyone bastes with pan juices and sauce when the meat is sliced before boxing which is technically against the rules. hell if you cant beat em, copy em!

Exactly which rule is being broken here?
Ed

Exactly which rule is being broken here?
Ed

In Texas comps such as lonestar, IBCA etc meats can be cooked with sauce or glazed bit once the meat is off the Pit and cut, it's not supposed to have anything done to it, suppose to go straight to the box. I see kcbs teams brushing more sauce on when the meat is in the dang box. Brisket with sauce brushed on the back and so on.. On our turn ins, they check in between the slices of brisket just to make sure you didn't

NICE!!! And people wonder why there is derision between cooks and judges!

Many of us "competition judges" are also cooks, so this comment really exhibits either a lack of knowledge on your part or something more sinister.

Sinister. :twisted:

I am a comp cook and a comp judge but also a restaurant pitmaster. THIS is what i call bark. If this was turned in at a comp most judges would probably cringe.

Real BBQ!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: G$
Sinister. :twisted:

I am a comp cook and a comp judge but also a restaurant pitmaster. THIS is what i call bark. If this was turned in at a comp most judges would probably cringe.

Real BBQ!

Thanks darn good looking brisket...

There is a difference between how you cook in competition and how you cook for yourself or others (non competition). Personally, I prefer my ribs "over-cooked" (falling off the bone), and that is how I cook them when I cater events because that is how others want them, but I know not to cook that way in competion.
Your brisket looks great, but how is the tenderness of the bark?
There is a reason behind the rules and guidlines that KCBS put in place (not always logical - GARNISH!?!?), and judges are instructed to follow the rules. No matter what is accepted or commonplace in catering or restaurant or backyard, the judges must judge according to the established rules.

My point is that there is no purpose behind making the statement "A competition judge wouldn't know what real bark was if it hit them in the face!" other than to incite dissention amongst the ranks. You stated that you yourself are a "competition judge", so you are contradicting yourself with your own statement.

Back