• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket A-Z

Bludawg

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have offered info on how I choose trim and cook a Brisket but it has never been in once place. So over the next two days I will document the entire process starting with the brisket in the package as it came from the store followed by cooking and slicing. As of right now the cook will be on the stick burner.

This is subject a Select grade packer.
DSCF0161_1.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

This brisket has most all the attributes I look for Round Blunt point and a thick tail on the flat. This is not a High Select the flat is almost void of marbling. Don't let that run you off when choosing a packer all the marbling in the world will be wasted as well as a higher grade such as a Choice if the brisket has a tapered flat that will crisp up during the cook. When in doubt get the thickest flat you can find as that seems to be the preferred part by most.

Thinning the fat cap
DSCF0167.jpg

You can see the white area in the fore ground where I thinned it out up to 1/2 in in places was removed.

The lean side( post trim)
DSCF0165.jpg

I have removed the hard fat pockets as well as a good bit of the vein between the Point & Flat this isn't necessary but it reduces cook time (less fat to render out and even thickness) and keeps the pit cleaner. It should be noted that by taking this extra step the cook will be more consistent brisket to brisket one cook to the next.

Side view Compare to Photo #2
DSCF0166.jpg

note the uniformity

This is how much was removed
DSCF0164.jpg

Now I know someone is saying or at least thinking wow that is allot it would be cheaper to buy one already trimmed. This packer cost me 1.97 lb after trimming the cost went up to 2.73 lb. A market trim Select in the case right next to this one was 5.95 lb that's my beer money for the cook. Not to shabby for 10 min of labor.

So here we are moistened with some Worcestershire and rubbed with Dirt Dalmatian.
DSCF0168.jpg

To be continued in the morning see ya out at the pit about 7 am.

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!! $1.97 a pound! I can't buy any part of a cow that cheap! :doh::doh::doh: No wonder you're so good at brisket. Looking foward to the show :thumb:

I enjoy all of your posts, I find them not only informative, but some are down right funny. Thanks for taking the time to do a A to Z brisket thread.

I'll need to move to TX for $1.97/lb brisket. The same thing is around $3.24/lb here in Orlando, FL.

Looking forward to the continuation ...

Glad I came back to this site. Blu has answered more of my dumb questions than anyone...on here and at the Texas BBQ forums :)

Dang Bludawg, do you have a connection at your local H E B? I haven't seen that nice of a brisket since I left Texas. (bad move I guess) Jealously sitting here waiting to see and learn from the best! :spy: :pop2:

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Back