Being A Real Jerk On Sunday...Cook In Progress

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
rasta_zpsc58fcebe.jpg

There's a Throw Down going on this week. Jamaican Jerk Cook-Off.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193913

Started working on it Friday night by making some pig stock from the smoked pork necks I did a couple weeks ago. Put the neck bones (6 - two hadn't been plucked of their meat yet) in a 12 qt pot and added a handful of fresh thyme sprigs then filled with water, brought to a boil and turned down to simmer overnight. Made about 8 quarts.

stock_zpse6316407.jpg

Used one quart to make some Jerk BBQ sauce. Here's the recipe I concocted from a couple I picked from the web and modded a bit.

Sauce:
4 cups pig broth/stock
10 oz marsala cooking wine
12 oz Coke
2/3 cup molassas
1/4 cup tamarind concentrate
2 TBS white wine vinegar
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS scotch bonnet sauce
2 Chopped Vidalia onions
2 bunches chopped green onions
4 diced jalapenos, pith, seeds and all
1 TBS ground ginger
2 1/2 TBS allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp salt
4 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS turbinado sugar
Bring to boil and a LOW simmer for a while - like about 12 hours until it was reduced down to a little over a quart. The recipe said to use a crock pot for the overnight reduction, but since my stove is electric I just used a nonstick pot. This morning I uncovered it and turned it up a bit to medium low for the final reduction. You can see how the level dropped...

sauce_zps040bf54d.jpg

Put it in the blender to make it smooth. Has a nice rich color. Here it is jarred...

sauce3_zps0c482c7b.jpg

So, also this morning I made a marinade with

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 TBS lime juice
1 TBS olive oil
1 tsp Scotch Bonnet sauce
Half a medium Vidalia onion chopped
2 chopped green onions
1~2 TBS diced ginger
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp crushed thyme
Put it all in a blender and let it rip.

Love fresh ginger

ginger_zps6457aa4a.jpg

marinade_zps54811539.jpg

Had an 8+ lb pork loin...
pig_zps03c29e4d.jpg

Which I cut into 3" thick slices

pig1_zpsa5b43df0.jpg

Actually made six with a couple end pieces leftover, then into the marinade for several hours...

pig2_zpsb0e2ca73.jpg

Which is where they are now, nestled gently in the fridge, being lovingly bathed in the marinade...

All will be revealed later today, as I won't start cooking til around 4. Tune in for the next part!

It's gonna be good!

I'm not doing this TD thing but this is making me want to try my new Island spice jerk marinade....straight from the Island mon

Love the ingredients you pulled together for the marinade and sauce. I never thought to use my slow cooker for long simmering barbecue sauces. Thanks for sharing.

This is why I haven't done a throw down in some time. I just can't compete with the likes of Guerry!

Looks awesome!

Nonsense. :mrgreen: I don't win often, at all. :thumb:

Here's a side.

Sliced the peppers and marinated in a little olive oil before preparing the pineapple and adding that to the peppers.

veggie7_zps8918d4cb.jpg

veggie8_zpsec9b0955.jpg

veggie91_zps89799ab0.jpg

I'm also cooking a couple racks of baby backs on the Akorn for a neighbor who helped us repair a few shingles on the house, and smoking with them are some sweet taters. :becky:

Well, fark. I saw some nice bone-in loin chops at the store yesterday, and thought I might grill them jerk style. Surely everyone will enter chicken, right? :doh:

Oh, well. I plan to cook them that way, anyway. I have different sides in mind.

CD

Farmland and Scotchbonnet??? Isn't that cheating??

I dunno. Plus, I'm not afraid. I've been DQ'd before! :thumb:

Ready to go on the Akorn.
Stuffed and Bacon Wrapped Jerk Seasoned Loin Chops.

chop_zps9ff288ab.jpg

chop2_zpsa969ec31.jpg

chop1_zps569afa5f.jpg

They'll get sauced on the grill. Some sauce has been added to the onion/ginger/apple stuffing as it finished in the skillet.

Oh, sure, hit the judges with the old bacon bribe. Have you lined up a cute kid for your entry thread, yet.

CD :becky:

Looks pretty honkin' good......tough act to follow in a throwdown, I would imagine......................jerked brisket, maybe?

Nah. I did a real elaborate cook for the pickle TD, had a gorgeous plate featuring pickled pork tenderloin and a homemade cucumber/onion/sliced ginger pickled side dish. and got beat by a simple bacon wrapped pickle spear. Silverfinger made that simple yet gloriously elegant appetizer.
Basically though, I've had a blast with this cook. This is fun, and exactly what I like the TDs to do to me. Make me do something I've never done before. This time, it was jerk anything, and I've never stuffed a pork chop either. I'm real happy Kirk picked the category.

Back