• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS (Pit Barrel) vs. WSM?

UF_Aero

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I currently have a Weber kettle that I love and have learned to do nearly everything but cold smoke. I've done full packers on that kettle at 225 for 16 hours. That said, there are serious drawbacks - when low and slow, you're basically in a two zone mode, which means in a 22.5" kettle, your cook area is pretty tiny. Second (and probably the biggest reasons for this post) is that I have to poke and prod and move vents and refill coals to maintain low temps - it can be done, but it takes some oversight. Which brings me to the decision that it's time for a dedicated smoker. I'm limited on patio space, so I'm going to go vertical. Being a huge fan of my kettle, and not wanting to spend the year's meat budget on a smoker, the WSM is natural thought. But UDS are in line with that same budget and seem to do a great job as well.

So here's the question for the Brethren: 18.5" or 22.5" WSM versus Pit Barrel Cooker or similar UDS?

A PBC is not a typical UDS. It's like the Model T of cookers--you can cook at any temperature you want, as long as it's the one it's running at.

A more traditional UDS will have intake and exhaust controls. It's basically a WSM without any special engineering, and significantly uglier.

A WSM is what every UDS wants to grow up to be. Pretty, easy to control, coated with a finish that won't rust, and super flexible--you can cook with or without water, direct or indirect, at a big range of temps.

Just go ahead and pull the trigger on a 22" WSM. You'll thank yourself later. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put on my asbestos underwear and hide in a bunker, I'm about to get flamed. :-D

I'm a PBC kinda guy myself - I've done lots of tasty stuff on it - And it's almost absurdly easy to use. I recommend them to everyone.

A PBC is not a typical UDS. It's like the Model T of cookers--you can cook at any temperature you want, as long as it's the one it's running at.

A WSM is what every UDS wants to grow up to be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put on my asbestos underwear and hide in a bunker, I'm about to get flamed. :-D

:lol::shock::crazy::laugh::mad2:

I don't know if there is a safe place for you to hide. You just pissed off both parties in this battle. I would be afraid that they might unite and turn on you.:mrgreen:

Have you looked into other techniques to make bbq on your kettles?

With my kettles I run hot and fast and use the snake method when doing big hunks of meat like full packer briskets and pork butts. When doing ribs and chicken, I do the simple 2 zone fire.

Cooking on a kettle, it can be challenging to keep it at 225 degrees, let alone doing it for 16 hours. That in itself would be a headache I wouldn't want to deal with. Try cooking at 250-275 degrees. You will find that it is much easier to maintain. Cooking at 275-300 and 300-325 on a kettle is super easy to do. Obviously your cooking times will reduce greatly.

With a kettle temperature control can be an issue. Many people use the ring of fire/snake method to help regulate temperatures. This method controls temperatures mainly by controlling how much fuel(charcoal) is lit and then you can dial it in even more by adjusting the vents. With the ROF/Snake method you can get extended burn times of 6-10 hours without having to reload any charcoal.

When you combine cooking at a higher temperature and use the ROF/Snake method making bbq on your kettle becomes much less of a headache. I can knock out a 9lb pork butt or a 15lb brisket in under 6 hours, never having to reload charcoal by using the ring of fire and cooking at 300-325 degrees. If you want to see some results of hot and fast bbq cooking on a kettle, look in my profile at my started threads. I have posted a bunch of my cook threads, some with prep/setup shots and all with finished shots.

Now if you don't want to deal with those techniques. a UDS and WSM are great. You will get improved cooking area and improved burn times. I personally would build a UDS as it is a more efficient cooker than a WSM. A WSM is basially a UDS with possible points of failure for air leaks. Now the good thing with a WSM is that it is very easy to transport and Weber stands behind their product and their customer support is top notch. You can not go wrong with a WSM or a UDS. I have 3 Weber Performers that i bought off craigslist and a UDS that i built. I wouldn't mind adding a Weber Smokey Mountain to my arsenal, but it wouldn't get used all that much. Heck my UDS doesn't see a lot of action as my Weber Kettles are my go to cookers.

I promised my bride and one Moderator I would never participate in this discussion again. I am biased and my humor does not translate well. That being said, I really enjoy the topic. I just wish you had waited til later in the day (when several Bretheren have partaken in adult beverages) to begin.

Thanks for posting, and I shall check back later in the evening.

A more traditional UDS will have intake and exhaust controls. It's basically a WSM without any special engineering, and significantly uglier.

A WSM is what every UDS wants to grow up to be. Pretty, easy to control, coated with a finish that won't rust, and super flexible--you can cook with or without water, direct or indirect, at a big range of temps.

Just go ahead and pull the trigger on a 22" WSM. You'll thank yourself later. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put on my asbestos underwear and hide in a bunker, I'm about to get flamed. :-D

LOL..Then we have the Big Poppa Drum which can cook in more ways than the WSM could even dream about. :mrgreen:

P.S. I see that you are using the smokenator as an accessory for your kettle, which leads me to believe that you are closing your top vent down quite a bit and using a water pan to hold temps at 225 degrees, as per the videos for the smokenator.

What you need when it comes to bbq is to open your mind and see the possibilities that are out there with your kettle when you don't limit yourself to what the smokenator videos tell you.

1st. Don't get stuck on holding a single temperature +/- 5 degrees. Increase your variance in temperatures before you adjust your vents. I personally leave about a 25 degree window. Low and slow 225-250, moderate and medium 250-275, some what hot and some what fast 275-300, hot and fast 300-325, lets get this ish done quick and still taste dang good and get good results 325-350.

2nd. Learn the ring of fire/snake method. You regulate your temperatures by the amount of lit charcoal that can be lit at 1 time. Think of this as a fuse. How many lit charcoal you start with will get your going to your initial temperature. How many layers in your ring of fire will get you to your cruising temperature. Below is a picture of my ring of fire. It is a 2x2x1 ring of fire (layer of 2, layer of 2, layer of 1) started with 10 lit coals. It ran right around 300 degrees for over 8 hours during the fall/winter months here in Va Beach. I finished a pork butt on it within 6 hours. I didn't have to fuss with vents or reloading coals the entire time once I got the kettle going.
peuvIhc.jpg

Once you do the 2 things i listed above you will take your next steps in being a kettle ninja.

Here are a few pictures of bbq I have cooked on my kettle, different temperature zones during each cook (i adjust my cooking temperatures to suite my timeline needs), and using the ring of fire.

D9OAItW.jpg

AmcjTw0.jpg

idYlCt6.jpg

wFmXRsK.jpg

If space is a limiting factor for you, don't bother getting a WSM or building a UDS. Unlock the full potential of your kettle by learning new techniques and fire management. Like I said earlier, I have a UDS and I use it very rarely, I mainly use my kettles for a majority of my cooks.

To me, the decision depends on how handy you are and how involved you want to be in the cook.

The PBC is ready to go out of the box and is about as hands free as you can get.

The WSM is also ready to go out of the box but requires a short learning curve and some adjustment of the bottom vents to hit the temp that you want to cook at.

The UDS can be bought ready to go, but more typically is built, and that takes some skills and tools, and also some time. Once built it requires some adjusting of the intakes to hit the desired temp, similar to the WSM.

Like 16Adams I decided a while back not to participate in the pbc Vs wsm vs since it goes nowhere...... but..

I vote for PBC and u really wont go wrong with UDS or WSM or BPS. You gotta figure out which will benefit u most according to your style of cooking.

I personally like the size, capacity,set and foget, no grates that the PBC offers although Ive used the grates and have put a deflector in place for certain cooks that required it.

I'd go with the WSM to match your kettle. A combo of the two and you can cook / smoke anything you can dream of.

Depending on your budget, I would probably suggest the UDS route (a lot cheaper than the WSM). I see you live in Orlando so getting a 55 gallon drum will be easy. There's a drum company over by the airport. You can buy new or get a food grade refurbished drum without a liner at a good price. There's an epic UDS thread here at the Brethren that will explain how to put one together. Good luck with your choice

I'm with 16Adams. This thread will get a lot more interesting later today when everybody has had a few sips. Put on your protective gear and let the games begin!

I promised my bride and one Moderator I would never participate in this discussion again. I am biased and my humor does not translate well. That being said, I really enjoy the topic. I just wish you had waited til later in the day (when several Bretheren have partaken in adult beverages) to begin.

Thanks for posting, and I shall check back later in the evening.

You were correct. Look at how civil everyone is during the day time.:clap2: Also, I get your humor. This made me laugh. I think it is everyone else. For example, I post the funniest stuff several times per day and nothing.......:blah:

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

Drum with a BPS kit and a bag of KBB = $200
WSM = $400

As far as cooking, they are the same. They both share the same cooking properties of a vertical smoker. The BPS kit has an extra basket holder to raise the coal basket close to the grate for grilling. A steel 55 gallon barrel is a lot thicker than a WSM, so no need for a blanket in cold weather. The WSM will hold its resale value more, it's coated with a porcelain enamel for rust prevention and to some has curb appeal.

The differences are minor. For me it came down to price and bang for your buck. BPS + Foodsaver + 2 packers or a WSM.

Regardless, your BBQ will be fantastic.

I love my 22-1/2" WSM. Don't have a PBC or UDS, so can't comment there.

Back