Finally got to play with Santa's gift

Gadragonfly

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
It took 3 weeks for the weather and my schedule to align into a perfect weekend for a long cook. I received a Tappecue for Christmas which I plan to use on my GMG Davy Crockett smoker. I've put that smoker away for the time being, not wanting it to be out in foul weather so I decided to experiment using my BGE. I've been wanting to try a chuck roast barbacoa recipe that I found on another forum and this seemed like a good time to give it a try. Instead of salt and pepper I used Oakridge BBQ Competition Beef and Pork rub. I cooked between 225* and 250* until it reached an IT of 160*. At that time I followed the recipe below and placed roast in pan, covered tightly with foil and returned to the Egg. After shredding the roast I put the meet into a flour tortilla and topped with some cheddar and pepper jack cheese that I had smoked just before Christmas and then rolled it up and fried it in a small amount of canola oil. It was about this time that I realized I should have taken pictures because this was something I definitely wanted to share with my Brethren. I'll be making this again and will take pictures. It has a wonderful combination of spice, heat and smoke.

My emphasis for this cook was to try my Tappecue. I'm very pleased with the way it works. It easily connected to my WiFi and I received pit and meat temps through my email. It has 4 probes so I'll be able to use it if I cook more than one meat at the same time. We have an annual gathering of judges in Cabin #7 at Brasstown in February. We're planning on cooking multiple fatties at once so this will be perfect. I can monitor each one separately since there is some side-to-side temp variation in my smoker.

I use my CyberQ on my BGE for any long cooks but I don't need to control pit temps with my pellet smoker and I didn't want a blue tooth monitor because I wanted to be able to go into the house or elsewhere and still receive notifications. Judging from this experience, the Tappecue was the perfect choice. Customer service was excellent as well. I had some issues with my Windows 8.1 updating the Tappecue and I received an almost instant email back from Gina, the company President when I sent an email inquiry.

Now, on to the important stuff. The recipe (and I'll include pictures the next time):

Barbacoa

Prep: 30 min
Cook: 6-7 hours
Ingredients:

3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)
1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
2 teaspoons salt (plus additional to season roast)
1 teaspoon black pepper (plus additional to season roast)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup beef broth or water

Heavily season chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on smoker at 225 until an internal temp of 165 is reached

While roast is cooking, mix the other ingredients together in a 13x9 or similar aluminum or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of other ingredient mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly. If more liquid is needed to give the meat a good coating, add 1/2 to 1 cup of hot water. Place back into oven and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes until most all liquid has cooked into the meat.

Just saw this. Been wanting to smoke a chuck roast. Looks like a Super recipe. Congrats on the new gift. You must have been very good this year. ;D

Thanks!

How did it turn out? I miss living in TX and being able to get authentic mexican food (and bbq for that matter), so I'm always looking out for recipes.

Steve, it was outstanding! Santa did very very good this year. On par with the year he gave me my CyberQ :-D

Back