Plenty of Pecos

Cool photo

Oh yeah! Wish we had Academy here although the good thing is they do sell online to CA including the smokers. I bought a bunch of stuff from them and love that store even though I haven't even been in one.

P.S. Shipping is almost always free and for Old Country smokers is no more than $100. An over under shipping for example is $79. That's a deal if anyone from CA is looking and no tax.

The Pecos is all around Best Size and Price for a Stick Burner Newb (besides buying used) a cpl tuning plates or 1 bigger convection plate and a water pan and it's Easy. :mrgreen: they could probally skip the water pan but I run them - I get the more even temps with one than without.

IMHO, you need to really look at these closely before purchasing them. I looked at them at my local Academy and all of them had door issues. The door was out of round and it looked like it would not make a good seal against the cooker. Pick a good and you've got a good deal.

I had a pecos for a few years when I first learned how to q. I sold it last summer when I moved to save on space and ended up getting my WSM. Some days I miss the offset, but I love the WSM.

There's a special spot in my heart for this good entry level offset... Some of the best smells in the world came from that stack after it was seasoned and during the back half of a long beef cook... ohhhhh the nostalgia.

I would definitely recommend this cooker to a new q'er who wants to learn the fundamentals of stick burning and how to control a fire to produce good q.

They are working on their processes to bring QC up. All these Pecos look consistent.

You will NEVER see a store here in the upper Mid West carry smokers like that....Suppose there isn't the demand but I sure wish there was.

Alejandro also told me Academy will soon be selling tuning plates and possibly a convection plate for the Pecos and Wrangler

Smitty have you been sniffing around the Pecos again :becky:
Thanks for the update!

I'm really, really glad that Old Country is putting out good quality entry level pits at an affordable price. There is sooooo much pure crap out there these days. I almost, almost pulled the trigger on their Brazos when they first came out. The thing is a tank and at $1K you won't find a better deal on a heavy duty pit of that size. I just had my heart set on a 24" pit and fortunately had up to $3K to spend if I wanted to so I went much bigger. The big Angus just showed up in stores here last year. If they had been available when I was looking I probably would have bought it.

I've seen the new vertical here in El Paso Academy stores. Very solid pit and at $700 I can't get it out of my head ! I don't need it but damn, I know I could put it to good use. Glad to see they continue to innovate and come out with new models and are working on QC. Wish them continued success as they continue to grow with Academy.

I'm speechless....ok maybe not. That's just a cool sight!

Back