Comp Class Recommendation

bdodd444

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good comp class coming up in July or August? I have heard good things about the Pellet Envy Class, but it is full. I am on the east coast but can fly most anywhere. Thanks very much.

Brian

I learned a lot from Rod and Johnny when they were teaching together. I also learned from Scottie Johnson and Mike Wozniak (Quau) this spring. I would recommend their class.

My next class, if I can swing it, is going to be the Plowboy/Butcher BBQ class when they hold another one.

I learned a lot from Rod and Johnny when they were teaching together. I also learned from Scottie Johnson and Mike Wozniak (Quau) this spring. I would recommend their class.

My next class, if I can swing it, is going to be the Plowboy/Butcher BBQ class when they hold another one.

We have 2 on the books right now, 1 the 1st weekend in Michigan and 1 the 3rd weekend in Arizona. Working on dates for 2011.

I think that you need to decide what you want to get out of the class and then decide on which one you want to take. All of the guys teaching classes are winners, so the difference is the type of class. The main 2 are the technique classes where the recipes arent laid out for you and the recipe classes where they are. If you want to work someone else's style into your own then a technique class might be for you. I wanted winning recipes, so Pellet Envy was the class for me.

Michigan is on a different calendar that the rest of us. They only have two weekends a year :)

See you in November! :thumb:

I don't think Todd and David have the registration set up yet but the Great Lakes BBQ Supply co. and the GLBBQA are hosting the Plowboys/Butcher BBQ cooking class the first week of November here in SE Michigan. :clap2:

I think one thing to take seriously before taking a class is how much the teaching reflects the kind of Q you do. For instance, I plan to take the Plowboys/ Butchers class primarily to get some tips on how to get the most out of the FEC. If you cook with a stickburner at high temps them maybe a class taught by Mike Davis or Myron Mixon would be better for you. In addition some classes give you a look into the complete cooking process (rubs, injections and everything else). Some will only give you help on techniques - but they won't give you specific help on flavors etc.

So, what do you need/expect to learn?

We have 2 on the books right now, 1 the 1st weekend in Michigan and 1 the 3rd weekend in Arizona. Working on dates for 2011.

I highly recommend the Plowboys/Butcher class. I attended Todd's class in March, and have recently become "dangerous". I started competing last September, and hadn't had a call in my 1st two comps. Since taking the class, I've had consistent calls in my last two comps, finishing 14th of 53 in North Platte, and most recently 4th of 54 in Pueblo. In fact, I'm considering taking the class again in November, now that David is a part of it.

Kevin

Sorry folks for the slow responses we lost complete internet for about 16 hours. All the questions have been answered. November is the month I was speaking about and Sat-Sun for both classes.

We have our site up for the AZ registration and Todd is on vacation with the family and when he gets back in town he will get the other link up and working.

As far as if you cook on a stick or pellet to make your decision on which class to take is a great point but wouldn't you also like to see what flavors are winning and the process it takes to get there even if you don't use the same style of pit.

@Butcher BBQ,

Would you please post the link to the AZ registration? Checked your profile and googled, found a link, but didn't find a link for classes/registration.

Thanks a bunch!

John

Back