What are the pros and cons of a gravity feed ?

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Just wondering what the good and bad things are with the gravity fed smokers. I like horizontal smokers so it has me thinking Have a wsm and want to upgrade

On another note what's better gravity fed or a off set horizontail ?

Sure I opened a can of worms but really curious to see what u guys think

You got a good source for firewood up there? If not skip the offset. I don't have a gravity fed or big insulated cabinet smoker but I look at them alot . One thing stands out is the gravity feed ones are bigger and heavier for same size cook chamber because of the chute.

I'm wanting (and getting one these days) a Humphreys Pint myself.......http://www.humphreysbbq.com/smokers/

I have a non-gravity fed horizontal charcoal smoker. I can get 12 -14 hours of cooking out of an eight pound bag of lump charcoal. Easy enough to add an extra pound or two near the end if needed.

But you have to purchase what works best for you and your needs...

I have a non-gravity fed horizontal charcoal smoker. I can get 12 -14 hours of cooking out of an eight pound bag of lump charcoal. Easy enough to add an extra pound or two near the end if needed.

But you have to purchase what works best for you and your needs...

What horizontal smoker do you have? I'm not familiar with one that will run that long without tending. I know that the guys with the Peoria Meat monsters can go 5-6 hours with briquettes and a Guru, but that's about the longest I have heard.

Since you have a WSM, it appears that you are OK with the flavor profile of charcoal and chunks. The one advantage to an offset (horizontal or vertical) IMO would be the flavor of all wood stick burning.

What horizontal smoker do you have? I'm not familiar with one that will run that long without tending. I know that the guys with the Peoria Meat monsters can go 5-6 hours with briquettes and a Guru, but that's about the longest I have heard.

Humphreys DownEast Beast - right there in his Sig. :shock: :mrgreen:

If you are thinking Gravity fed be sure check out Superior and Assasian.

I wouldn't mind a stick burning horizontal just used to using lump and chunks. It seem it would be harder to maintain temps with a stick burner then lump w/ chucks

Sorry I was half asleep from night work, ....

Correction "Vertical"

Now I am wondering if the OP meant vertical offset or traditional offset:confused:

LOL,... thanks,.. now we're all confused..:wacko: I'm pretty sure he wants to know about gravity feed verses traditional offsets

I don't have a gravity feed,.. but they seem to be set and forget like UDS's. Stick burners (traditional offsets) are work,... but great tasting grub on an all wood fire. there's my .02

Yup I believe OP had a typo - typed horizontal but meant vertical cause he said gravity fed.

I have both but am new to using the gravity fed (stumps). I am very happy with the food that has come off the stumps when compared to my jambo. Yes, there is a slight difference but IMHO only those with trained/refined BBQ palates can distinguish the difference. Keep in mind that you can add hardwood to the firebox of a gravity fed so it does burn wood along with the lump/charcoal in the chute.

I have both but am new to using the gravity fed (stumps). I am very happy with the food that has come off the stumps when compared to my jambo. Yes, there is a slight difference but IMHO only those with trained/refined BBQ palates can distinguish the difference. Keep in mind that you can add hardwood to the firebox of a gravity fed so it does burn wood along with the lump/charcoal in the chute.

Most people can't tell the difference in smoked meats other than what they are used to. I like my insulated verticals for longer smokes, but use my stick burner because of the flavor and it's fun. All cookers has their quirks and you adjust as you learn it. Good luck in your search for your next cooker.

Sorry for the confusion I got all confused writing it as we'll ha. Vertical is what I'm asking about

All types of verticals. What's best easy for me to get chucks but can order anything online

Give Randy from The Atlanta BBQ Store a call he will treat you right and he carries Deep South and Humphreys.

Back