Brisket: first time injecting

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did a 12# Wally World brisket this weekend along with three 8 lb pork picnics. Injected with Dr. Barbecue brisket injection (beef broth, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and Worcester sauce). I trimmed the brisket more aggressively than any in the past. I threw it on my stickburner over oak and apple wood, hot and fast.

Panned it with more beef broth and pulled it around 195 IT in the flat. Most of flat probed ok. Pulled it, separated flat and point, then chopped the point and back into the pit soaking up the drippings and more smoke. Burnt end were amazing, sliced flat was a tad dry but was rescued by drippings I had reserved. Best brisket yet. No pics of the flat, didn't slice until I was at the party.

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

Looks great I've done lots of brisket and am still trying to find the prefect combo of spice and smoke, practice is still tasty.

Nice cook. I am still messing with injections and trying to decide if I like them or not.

Looks good brotha, you did HnF at what 350 * how long was the total cook time with rest?

Nice cook. I am still messing with injections and trying to decide if I like them or not.

You should try stubbs beef marinade strained then whatever you take out from straining add low sodium beef broth to make it 16oz again, also add 1 Tbsp of AmesPhos to add moisture to the meat. It turns out really moist if you use this injection recipe and set it in the fridge for about 12 hours or the longer the better. The AmesPhos needs at least 4 hours to do its magic.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I will definitely inject next time, I'll pan it as well. I used some of that amazing au jus left behind in the pan in my commercial bbq sauce. I let the juices sit in a jar for a while then took the fat off the top first before adding to the sauce. I also used the au jus for the sliced flat. It seemed like the flat was a tad dry but might have been because of a three hour rest in foil. It was tender and delicious just could have been juicier. One battle I'm fighting with brisket it that the only packers I have available up here are the Excel briskets at Wal-Mart. I don't know what the grading on them is, honestly I couldn't even find on the packaging what it was so I assumed it was select.

I felt like the injection and addition of broth to the foil pan added a lot of nice beefy flavor to the brisket. All but two slices of the flat and all of the burnt ends were utterly destroyed by my work buddies along with about half of the pork. 25 people consumed a 12 lb packer and about 15 lbs of pulled pork (pre-cooked weight) so it all turned out good. Got a lot of nice feed back from my co-workers especially about the brisket. So what the heck, I'm progressing :-D:-D:-D

Looks good brotha, you did HnF at what 350 * how long was the total cook time with rest?

I was aiming for 300* but probably averaged 325* over the total cook. Total cook time for the brisket was 9 hours when I pulled it and separated the flat from the point. Chopped the point and put it back on for another 2 hours or so for burnt ends. The flat rested for about 3 1/2 hours before slicing which is not ideal but had to go with the flow.

I was aiming for 300* but probably averaged 325* over the total cook. Total cook time for the brisket was 9 hours when I pulled it and separated the flat from the point. Chopped the point and put it back on for another 2 hours or so for burnt ends. The flat rested for about 3 1/2 hours before slicing which is not ideal but had to go with the flow.

Ya lately my briskets have been taking 9 hours but I'm almost certain its because a drip pan. Using a drip pan it just seems to slow things down I'm going fully naked next one. Thx for sharing again brotha.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Knight,

speaking of drip pans, I had one in use for this cook. Ran out of water once through the cook, just figured that even though the pan was in there I was still taking temp at the same place on the grate so the HnF still worked out.

I always heard that wally world briskies were already injected, and therefore were crap. So if you can make one of them taste good, you must be doing SOMETHING right! :thumb:
Of course that's just information that I've gathered in this forum, I've never actually made a wally world brisket...

Knight,

speaking of drip pans, I had one in use for this cook. Ran out of water once through the cook, just figured that even though the pan was in there I was still taking temp at the same place on the grate so the HnF still worked out.

How Fast did it finish, without a drip pan I've been able to get 12# briskets done in 6 hours but that was with foil. Without foil and warped in butcher paper instead it takes about 8 or 9 hours.

9 hours, not wrapped, panned in a foil pan and covered with foil. Same effect as wrapping?

Back