• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A-maze-n pellet smoker frustration

Scozy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Seems like a great little unit but I can't keep it lit to save my life. I'm using smokehouse pellets in the 5x8 pellet maze. I've put them in the oven to dry out and I'm trying them in a Weber kettle. I light with a torch, let burn for 10 mins. and blow out. Even with the lid off of the cooker they go out after half an hour or so. They won't advance, just burn up and go out at the initial light.

Seems to me its either the pellets or maybe since I'm in Colorado and 6500 ft altitude there's not enough oxygen? I'd like to get a good long smoke out this thing. First post here for me but reading for awhile. Great forum!

You'll notice that pellet stoves always use a blower motor to create a bellows affect on the pellets. Pellets won't burn very well without the blower and what smoke they do generate is nasty white stuff.

Sawdust still doesn't burn very hot but is a better option for a self sustaining combustion in open atmosphere.

I use Traeger pellets in mine with no issues. I also have used it in a Weber kettle for cold smoking cheese. I light it with the torch and leave it uncovered for 5 minutes, place it on the charcoal grate. I don't blow out the fire if any exists after 5 minutes. I store my pellets outside and do not dry them before use.

I then set the food grate in place, add the food and cover with ALL VENTS WIDE OPEN... Airflow is essential to keeping the pellets ignited and burning in the maze. You can also move the cover slightly off to one side to allow the dome to fill with heat before completely setting the cover in place. Heat rises, it's like lighting a fireplace, you have to create a draft to take the smoke out the chimney, or the house will fill with smoke.

The elevation isn't a problem, if there is enough oxygen to keep you alive, there is more than enough for a fire.

As stated above pellet grills do use a fan to increase heat, but my application is cold smoking and it works fine without any fan for assistance.

I'm not sure what your application is here....

I have never used the Amazing Maze, but use the Amazing Tube smoker all the time and never had an issue. Of course, I am just above sea level. Use the tube in a kettle all the time to "cold smoke", and in a cabinet smoker to add extra smoke. Never needed a blower yet, but the tube does need a good air source. I use BBQ-ers Delight pellets.
Sorry can't be more help.

I think it's the pellets. I have several different kinds of pellets and I've noticed that some do better than others in the pellet tube smoker. And as others have mentioned here, more airflow helps out. I don't know about your cooker, but you might try to put the tube in various locations and try to find the sweet spot for natural airflow through the cook chamber. I have found the best results putting the tube smoker closer to the air intake.

Yeah, I'm cold smoking. Stuff like fish and cheese. I want some cheese for Thanksgiving so I'm just lighting a couple of coals and sitting a chunk of apple wood on it for now since I can't get this little unit to stay lit. Its gotta be the pellets.

Yeah, I'm cold smoking. Stuff like fish and cheese. I want some cheese for Thanksgiving so I'm just lighting a couple of coals and sitting a chunk of apple wood on it for now since I can't get this little unit to stay lit. Its gotta be the pellets.

PM me your address and I'll send you some of my pellets, that way you can see if they work before you buy a 20 pound bag.

Wow, I really appreciate that, what a great offer! I do have a source to try other pellet brands though. I am a Sportsmans Warehouse employee and I have other options. Probably try the Traeger or something, but man, that is really nice of you - and the forum acts quickly, no? Thanks guys!

If I remember right Todd, the manufacturer of the AMNPS, told me that the AMNPS needs a lot of air flow to keep burning and that the tube doesn't. I have a hell of a time keeping the AMNPS burning. A lot of folks are quick to blame it on I am not spending a small fortune buying Todds pellets. I nuke the hell out of them when I use the AMNPS, it is the only thing that works for me. Or I just use the tube

I know, they are expensive. I paid more for the AMPS than I did for the craigslist score Weber kettle!

I use cabelas pellets with no issues. Light with a torch for about 45 seconds and blow the fire out. All vents wide open and never had it go out.

Seems like a great little unit but I can't keep it lit to save my life. I'm using smokehouse pellets in the 5x8 pellet maze. I've put them in the oven to dry out and I'm trying them in a Weber kettle. I light with a torch, let burn for 10 mins. and blow out. Even with the lid off of the cooker they go out after half an hour or so. They won't advance, just burn up and go out at the initial light.

Seems to me its either the pellets or maybe since I'm in Colorado and 6500 ft altitude there's not enough oxygen? I'd like to get a good long smoke out this thing. First post here for me but reading for awhile. Great forum!

I'm probably wrong about this, but it's my understanding that the pellet maze is not intended for a kettle grill. I think that there is not enough air because the charcoal takes just about all of it. Check with Todd Johnson.

I use chunks of wood in my Weber kettles. The charcoals keeps them hot enough to burn and smoke. Yes, I'm more limited in flavors because I don't have access to dried chunks of peach, apricot, sugar maple, et al; but I have an abundant supply of oak, pecan and mesquite which seem to suit for most smokes. I DO use the pellets in my MES 40 and have a good assortment of flavors from Todd.

HTH

I think it's the pellets. I have several different kinds of pellets and I've noticed that some do better than others in the pellet tube smoker. ...
I've had my maze for a year or so and have had the same experience. One batch of pellets I have does not like to stay lit, another batch does fine. IIRC one is hickory and one is apple. Of course I have moved them into poly tubs and don't remember which is which! :icon_blush: I think I can find the bags at our lake home and figure out which is which over Thanksgiving, though.

I did try baking the weak-burning pellets at 200deg overnight to dry them out and it did not seem to make much difference. So in my case anyway it is not moisture. Gotta be wood type.

I've had the situation where the pellets reignite sometime during a cold smoke because of too much airflow...just wanted to throw that out there. I knew something was wrong when I saw the temps start rising in my Primo. So it's still worth watching temps...

It is the altitude. The maze doesn't get enough oxygen, but the tube works terrific. Todd sent me the 12" tube and I got over 6 hours with the smokehouse pellets. He says that the tube will work to 8000 ft. Nice guy.

Using it today to smoke some cheese for a friend. Using Pacific Pellets. A minute in the microwave followed by 5 minutes of rest, repeated 6 times. Smoking with 0 troubles.

Attachments

• 20151121_164021.jpg
    20151121_164021.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 119
Wow, that's a lot of cheese! And Airedale, maybe its the pellets? I know that smokehouse brand blends all of their flavors with alder wood (so does pacific iirc). Alder is softer and very mild, I like it! But yeah, I'm getting great results with the tube - Thanks Todd!

I've had my maze for a year or so and have had the same experience. One batch of pellets I have does not like to stay lit, another batch does fine. IIRC one is hickory and one is apple. Of course I have moved them into poly tubs and don't remember which is which! :icon_blush: I think I can find the bags at our lake home and figure out which is which over Thanksgiving, though.

I did try baking the weak-burning pellets at 200deg overnight to dry them out and it did not seem to make much difference. So in my case anyway it is not moisture. Gotta be wood type.

Hickory burns fine for me while straight apple gives me some trouble staying lit.

If I remember right Todd, the manufacturer of the AMNPS, told me that the AMNPS needs a lot of air flow to keep burning and that the tube doesn't. I have a hell of a time keeping the AMNPS burning. A lot of folks are quick to blame it on I am not spending a small fortune buying Todds pellets. I nuke the hell out of them when I use the AMNPS, it is the only thing that works for me. Or I just use the tube

How much are you paying for pellets ?

Back