question on ribs

S

scotsman

how would 1 go about making those real saucy ribs like you get in chillis and those type places?

Not to be a smart a$$, but why would you want to? I'm guessing you like the sauce more than the ribs (not that there is anything wrong with that) so I would suggest buying some of their sauce then try to duplicate it in your kitchen. When you get the sauce you like, slather up your ribs with it. You might want to try some of the many methods of cooking ribs you can find here in Q-talk. I used to think those types of places made good ribs until I got my Bandera and found this web site six years ago. Now the only place I'll ever order ribs out is when I go to a true BBQ joint which is not that often anymore. Why order out when you can make it better at home? Just my $.02.

Not to be a smart a$$, but why would you want to? I'm guessing you like the sauce more than the ribs so I would suggest buying some of their sauce then try to duplicate it in your kitchen. When you get the sauce you like, slather up your ribs with it.
it's more so for the others that come over. they like the real saucy type. would i still rub them 1st and then just start hitting them with bbq sauce 2 hours in or what?

it's more so for the others that come over. they like the real saucy type. would i still rub them 1st and then just start hitting them with bbq sauce 2 hours in or what?

Make sure you over cook the ribs then just hit them with lots of sauce the last 20 minutes. If you put sauce on too early, the sugars will burn.

Last edited:
Yep, last 15 to 20 minutes. You might present some warmed sauce on the
side and let them try taking a dry rubbed piece of rib and dip it in sauce. They may
find out it's better without sauce or with ever-so-little sauce.

Sauce on the side vote here, too. Force 'em to learn the right way to do things... :twisted:

Seriously, if they want sauce, just add it at the last few minutes (30 at most, for a little carmelization). Then call them heathens, and degrade them for their lack of culture. Smacking thrm upside the head with a nekkid bone might also be appropriate (unless they are rich relatives) :heh:

If you want them like Chili's, overcook them, then put on too much sauce right at the end. Not my cup of tea, but many people seem to like them that way. 3-2-1 at about 250 should give you that consistency.

Chilis Style Baby Back Ribs

Ingredients -
1 ½ cups water
2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
1 ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
2 to 4 racks, baby back ribs

1. Make the barbecue sauce by combining all the ingredients for the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer sauce, stirring often, for 45 to 60 minutes or until sauce is thick.

2. Brush sauce over the entire surface of each rack of ribs. Wrap each rack tightly in aluminum foil and cook at 275 F for 2.5 to 3 hours or until the meat on the ribs has pulled back from the cut ends of the bones by about ½ inch. When the ribs are done, fire up your grill.

4. Remove the ribs from the foil and grill them for about 8 to 10 minutes per side or until the surface of the ribs is beginning to char. Brush sauce on both sides of the ribs for a few minutes before you remove them from the grill.

If you really want to get authentic, dry them out a little and over cook them a lot. :wink:

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and try a smoked bbq recipe also and when you realize you like REAL bbq you might feel embarrassed that you even asked that question... and then you might feel like apologizing... but its okay.. we already accept your apology :becky:

seriously though I always wondered why people would go out and order ribs. I NEVER liked that garbage they cook in most places. Then I made my own and I have to be honest I was expecting very little but I was surprised to learn that I LOVED THEM. I even made a rib sauce with them but did NOT even try it. I ate them dry :clap2:

Do yourself a favor and try a smoked bbq recipe also and when you realize you like REAL bbq you might feel embarrassed that you even asked that question... and then you might feel like apologizing... but its okay.. we already accept your apology :becky:

seriously though I always wondered why people would go out and order ribs. I NEVER liked that garbage they cook in most places. Then I made my own and I have to be honest I was expecting very little but I was surprised to learn that I LOVED THEM. I even made a rib sauce with them but did NOT even try it. I ate them dry :clap2:
I know bbq ribs this was my last smoke. i was saying for other people

149w4qq.jpg

4fccx.jpg

348q54z.jpg

If they want Chili's ribs, draw them a map. Then make some of those beauties for yourself.:thumb:

After you've slopped on a half gallon of sauce, remove all the bones then throw all the stuff in a food processor and make pap out of it. Then nobody will have to exert themselves chewing too much. A friend of mine ordered ribs a Chli's a few days ago -- bright red glop. When he tried to cut off a rib, all the meat fell off. Why would anyone want to eat that?

scotsman, you apparently do know your BBQ ribs. Those are two fine looking racks right there! Wasn't gonna cook today, but I just changed my mind!

Back