THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Bought my YS640 used, and after several years, needed more space for large cooks at our church. Bought the YS1500 new.

Would I be totally crazy to sell the 1500, make room on the patio for a patio model Lang or Shirley?

Would I use them when is two easy and simple to fire up the Yoder?

As an owner of 2 pellet grills myself, no. Let's not talk about the rest of the gear I have either.

There's really no rules other than do what's right for you. I'm more in the mind set of having different styles of cookers vs 2 or 3 of the same types. I say keep 1 pellet, get the offset and then look for a cabinet or gf.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There's really no rules other than do what's right for you. I'm more in the mind set of having different styles of cookers vs 2 or 3 of the same types. I say keep 1 pellet, get the offset and then look for a cabinet or gf.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are you saying I don't need 4 Weber Kettles? :becky:

Do you honestly have the time required for a stick burner? If yes, you may very well love one! If you have kids and/or a busy lifestyle, it's REALLY hard to beat the pellet muncher.

Do you honestly have the time required for a stick burner? If yes, you may very well love one! If you have kids and/or a busy lifestyle, it's REALLY hard to beat the pellet muncher.

This exactly. I had both a FEC100 and a Lang Patio. Loved the stick burner but hardly used it due to time constraints and fire maintenance. When I had nothing better to do then to kick back and enjoy a few beverages while tending the fire, it was great. But having to go outside every 30 min or so in 110° weather sucks.

I've been around the block and back. There was a time several years ago, that I was 100% pellets. Kids were younger, and I actually liked the new technology aspect.

Before that, I had all kinds of the cheap cookers. Pellet cookers were my jump to the big time. After buying the pellet machines, I had a taste for the higher end stuff.

I just sold my Lang, and replaced with a 270 and a drum. I also still have a large pellet grill.

Moral of that story I guess is, variety is the spice of life...

With 2 Komodo Kamados sitting on my patio, I'm not the guy to tell you to get rid of anything on your patio! Go with what works for you and yours and above all, enjoy!

Nothing wrong with 2 pellet cookers. I started with stick burners and went so far as to buy a Klose and have it shipped to PA - only to find out about BGEs and how easy they are to maintain. Realized I am a really lazy cook - I don't want to be bothered with babysitting a fire. Got rid of the Klose. Then Big Al ordered a Traeger and I mocked him... hard... Now I love the Traeger - it's a great complement to the BGE.

Agree with other comments about your time aspect; if you have it great, otherwise you got two pretty darn nice cookers. The one thing I would ask, is are you finding that the 1500 is not quite big enough? If so, that may be a good reason to look at one of the larger offsets.

To me, running a stick burner is fine and I like it. However, even if you don't mind the long hours, the one thing no one talks about is that if you use it often enough you are going to have to find a source of wood, and always be scrounging, cutting, and splitting to keep a fuel source. To me that was always a bigger PITA than operating it.

Love my 640!

Ed

I'm actually doing a rib cook off this coming weekend. My Louisiana Grills TG-300 vs my GMG Daniel Boone. Whichever one makes a better rib gets to stay. I really only need one. Well that's what the wife said anyway.

Pellet cookers are like big green eggs, you only need one. Everyone knows that.

y4m1-BgbMAnm-pmFPez6OndTBVtiLVqiytxBr-DadSGyO7Z2RFfQrnF4hEa2dXhHrVnSvce4U9YdV1MS1jYi81s4A1m4bZNlTtHyRwowvkzjudgWXR4Jh4hALmaSwj5OlsbvIPo0biioYr-8zy0ekvoZr2aqjBbkWCGxqdf3lsfFxLimLzEIWZnX1PSVliSQjlDrnNcpzPYNapEIOX-teS1Dw

Last edited:
No way! I already have 2 pellet cookers and at one time had 3. In fact, I would buy another YS1500 or a Cimmaron if given the right opportunity.

are 2 pellet cookers too many??

I have a very understanding wife and on our patio is a FEC 100, pg500, grilla cooker (all pellets), 2 hunsaker drums, 1 UDS, 2 weber EZ dated grills, a Shirley Fab patio, a kamado, a 1986 red head weber gas grill. So, I am pretty sure 2 are not enough.

Back