Texas Contest Sanctioning Body

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Beyond KCBS, what other organizations, if any, sanction contest in Texas?

Are the rules different from KCBS and where can I find them?

Which organization sanctions the most contests?

I may be moving to Katy Texas which is a suburb of Houston so I want to find out as much as I can if it happens.

Thanks for the help.

Lone Star, IBCA, Gulf Coast are the major ones. There are also some KCBS coming about over the last few years. Google them and the rules are posted. Might want to judge a contest or two prior to competing.

Major differences, no garnish, 3 meats specific cuts and quantity, extended turnin times, off the street judges.

From the IBCA I had as my first solo contest and won GC. Totally different ball game. If you ar 18 and never had BBQ before you can be a judge. Beer at the judging tables. Every meat must be cut with a plastic knife and fork.

Now there's your crapshoot!!
Ed

This is something that tends to get me in trouble with CBJs:decision: Oddly enough, the cream seems to rise in this system as well. Texas Pepper Jelly and Blazen BBQ both won 7, frequently competing against each other.

I get in trouble when certain pink suspender wearing judges tell me that KCBS would wither and die without them. I use the example above. But, as a life member I appreciate their annual financial contribution;)

That being said, I prefer to cook KCBS and have CBJs. I think top to bottom the judging is more consistent. Now I have cooks riled.

Guido, if you make the move get my contact info from Phil. I'll put you in touch with some folks down there that have had some success and would be happy to help you make the transition to comp cooking in Texas.

Now there's your crapshoot!!
Ed

Have you cooked one?

Sure, it remains subjective, but I'm with Jorge; the good teams consistently win. There are more teams tasting your product than in KCBS too...takes away some of the TOA and TOD if you ask me. :noidea:

Yeah, I cook around! I like IBCA and SCA, but I'm mostly a KCBS cook. I think it's good to shake things up sometimes.

Have you cooked one?

Sure, it remains subjective, but I'm with Jorge; the good teams consistently win. There are more teams tasting your product than in KCBS too...takes away some of the TOA and TOD if you ask me. :noidea:

Ed's OK with me. He calls it the way he sees it, and is willing to listen to differing opinions. He's also put in some time to get CBJs on the same page which should benefit everyone.

Ed's OK with me. He calls it the way he sees it, and is willing to listen to differing opinions. He's also put in some time to get CBJs on the same page which should benefit everyone.

Yeah, that probably sounded a little more caustic than it should have. I just got back from the Royal and I left talking about how big of a crap shoot six judges scoring you...giving you 1st place on their table and landing greater than 100 overall is...:loco:

I cook ibca and lone star. Half chicken and cooking you ribs to fall off the bone are the 2 biggest things. Judging can go sure be crappy at times.

Have you cooked one?

I was wondering the same thing, lol. From what I read here regularly KCBS is no less of a crap shoot. I think the Texas systems can sure use some changes for improvement but so can all the non Texas body's. Even regular folks know good and bad food so yes the good cooks will usually be on top regardless of where they cook regularly and some cooks can't win regularly no matter how many classes they takeor how much they shig, lol.

Back