Shoulder Clod part 2

Duckboats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm going to begin another attempt at a whole shoulder clod. The last time I attempted the clod I tried cooking it like a brisket. It turned out more like roast than brisket. I have an idea that's so crazy, it just may work!! Here are some pre smoke pictures.
Before the trim
image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Trimmed and rubbed
image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

My plan is to take the clod to 145 and let it rest and cool and slice it thin for sandwich meat. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I am confused. You said the last time you cooked it that it turned out like a roast, but the method you are using this time is exactly the method for sliced roast beef. I think it will taste great that way, but I would still prefer a traditional Central Texas clod prep.

I'm a bit cornfused as well. I was only a meat cutter for about 7 years, but that looks a lot like a whole bottom round, not a chuck shoulder clod. Should make some quality roast beast either way.

You got some crazy looking grain direction, so pay close attention how you slice it, if sliced is how you go with it. I would have left more fat on it, you may want to think about laying on a few strips of bacon. Wait it should be done by now, how was it?
Dave

Turned out great. Pulled it off at 142 and vacuumed sealed it in the juice. Letting it cool and reabsorb the liquid. Here are some pictures of the smoke. Had a special treat of smoking it on an Ole Hickory pit.
An hour into the cook.

Just before I pulled it off at 142 and 4-ish hours.
image-6.jpg
[/URL]
Vacuumed sealed and resting. I let it cool and put it in the fridge for slicing tomorrow. More to come when sliced.

Finally got the kids to nap and broke out the meat slicer. Here is what the clod looked like when I pulled it out of the package after the night in the fridge.

My slicer is small, so I had to cut it into four chunks to slice it. I got a good smoke ring for the small amount of time on the smoker. It turned out great!!! This way makes great cold sliced beef. I'm impressed. Enjoy.

I have been cutting meat for 36 years and like graywolfpcc said you have a whole bottom round and it sure looks good

Really. Okay. I was told it was shoulder clod. We got a screaming deal on about 12 of them. We were going to grind them into burger. If this bottom round, so be it. It worked great and tastes awesome!
Anyone else have any ideas for smoking these bad boys then? The first time I took it to 200 and let it rest and it shredded, so I made some shredded beef. This by far was the best way. But, if anyone has a better idea, let me know. I'm up for anything and I have 5 left.

Give Baltimore Pit Beef a go with some of that beef bottom round.

Rubbed it up with salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. I let it sit in the fridge for 4-8 hours. Then cook it directly over coals to get a really hard sear on it. Then cook it indirect till it is about 135 degrees. Rest it for 15-30mins and slice thin and against the grain. Serve on a kaiser roll w/ horseradish and mayo sauce w/ sweet onions.

Back